Home Remedy for pain in dogs or other animals

Old Fashioned

Home Remedy for pain in dogs or other animals

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Tue May 19, 2020 3:14 pm

So something has caused our old dog to limp and favor one leg and is from a probable injury. No signs of a break and no noticeable swelling, but he's obviously in some pain. What are some DIY or natural pain relievers for animals???

I have some self adhesive wrap to help with muscle/bone/tendon support, and there is always heat or ice packs, but is there anything else to help with pain???

Even with walking on 3 good legs, he did walk out to the coop and around the yard, did his business and even jumped on the deck without using the step. He will put the foot down & put some weight on it when he needs to for balance, but not often. |em22|

Farmfresh

Re: Home Remedy for pain in dogs or other animals

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 pm

Front or back leg. Can you tell which joint he injured?
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Tue May 19, 2020 7:01 pm

His back left leg and no I can't tell for sure where in the leg is hurt. There's really no obvious sign of any type of trauma, just that he won't use that leg other than to steady himself.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Tue May 19, 2020 9:57 pm

Can you get any CBD Oil? A few drops of that a couple times a day would work wonders for him. They make a bacon flavored one for pets.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Tue May 19, 2020 11:46 pm

Got him on my lap with an ice pack for a bit, then tried to manipulate the leg, then did the other good leg too just to see if I could tell a difference. Not really, other than the sore leg is much easier to stretch straight out than the good leg, and he never complained with either, though rubbing the sore leg did get a few low lazy growls......and he still won't put weight on it. Did get some pics, but really can't tell much from them. At first I thought the sore leg (his left) looked swollen, but since it won't fully stand on it....it could just be the muscle tension. |em22|

(dang it, I still can't figure out how to capture all the photos in one link |em16| )

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Wed May 20, 2020 10:45 am

Maybe he tore his ACL. Titan did and $3000 later, in 2015, he was good. You don't have the funds to fix a torn acl though, and nor do I anymore. Once they tear one, then the other one is at risk, which is why Titan is no longer allowed to jump up or down on anything. He has to be lifted.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed May 20, 2020 3:38 pm

Or just sprained that joint.

The good news... dogs do great on three legs. Especially a back leg. I would just keep icing it a while and see if it gets better. Maybe give him some of the glucosamine chondroitin type dog "treats". I feed Sage some made by Zuke's. He loves them. They are called Zuke's "Mobility".
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Wed May 20, 2020 5:46 pm

I tried to tinker with it again and everything seems to move properly and reasonably good range of motion. He wasn't too happy with me doing all the pushing, pulling, poking, and prodding and let me know with a few growls, which is kinda normal anyway. And there was one time that he was a bit more aggressive, but at NO time did he yelp in pain. I tried again to wrap the whole leg and then stood him up and again he just flopped over on his butt. Took off the wrap and he willingly wobbled off. Then wanted outside, so I watched him while both dogs walked around sniffing around and I did see him put that foot down and added atleast some weight to it a couple of times, which is more than he did yesterday. And since the leg seems fine, other than his unwillingness to use it, I wonder if maybe it's the foot that hurts...…….geez, I wish animals could talk to tell you what's wrong instead of us having to guess.

Murph....I've been looking up possibilities, including the ACL which says the size of dog can determine treatment options. Large dogs usually need surgery and small dogs probably don't, though it can depend on the breed, the extent of injury and the individual dog. And with Scooby, it seems like the biggest symptom is him not walking or bearing weight on that leg. I would think that if every time I touched a particular spot, he'd react if it was a serious injury (not that any injury isn't serious, but the difference between active care & treatment or 'wait & see') Any of his pain and reactions all seem more generalized, than specific. And yes I even checked the ankle/hock and the hip too....just not that closely to the foot, but will later. |em22|

Return to “Home Remedies for Critters”