Grocery store prices have started to rise sharply

Vent away!
Rhodie Ranch

Re: Grocery store prices have started to rise sharply

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:56 am

I was in San Jose for the last few days. My bro threw out some canned goods. I tried so hard to get them but the huge bin was too deep. I saw a can of kidney beans, a jar of turkey gravy, and more. Any thing that is more than one year out of date goes in the trash. Luckily he gave me the turkey that was not demolished. I'm back at the ex's as of last night and will part out the turkey as best I can with only a hot plate for a range. I go back to my home on Monday, where I'll make soup and more with that 21 lb bird!

I also secretly scrounged all the cheese platter ingred that were going into the trash. I've got several selections that will last us a week for 'tini time. Also my SIL's sis got a ton of goods from Trader Joes on Thursday am. purposedly for her "church" but in reality got spread around her neighborhood. I was the receipent of about 30 little pints of black berries. I need to look up how to smash them up and freeze them for making jam later. Before they all mold....

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:59 am

My bro only shakes his head in slight disgust at my scrounging. He bought some huge leg bones, had the butcher saw them in half lengthwise and then he baked them. For Marrow on crackers for hor dourves. Obviously I bought them all home and the dogs are getting their teeth clean right now.......I found four rolls of xmas wrapping paper at my Mother's retirement home garage trash. Those are going to my DD. I hope I don't embarrass all of you with my scrounging.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:06 pm

OH!! OF re Fred Meyer. I only go there for the three day sales (Kroger to the rest of you..). You load it to your card. Example today I"m getting five boxes of nabisco triscuit and wheat things for 99 cents each. 4 lb of gran sugar for 99 cents. Kroger Pb for 99 cents and baby food for 69cents which will be donated to the local food bank. Grapes are 99 cents per lb.

None of this is as good at Patrice finds, but it does help those of us on the west coast, where shopping is more expensive.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:50 pm

Murph, I'd never be disgusted with your 'scrounging'. I do the same when the opportunity arises. My ex-MIL had a route that she'd go thru dumpsters, mostly to get aluminum cans to take to the recyclers for $$. But she'd also come home with other finds as well. Some places like apartment complex's would be things like clothes, tv's, microwaves, etc. She'd also hit a few grocery stores and get their throwaways.....bakery goods, fruits & veggies and sometimes meats, including one time she got several hams. And yes, I've been on the receiving end of much of her finds, but that was many years ago.

After turkey day, I asked for #1's turkey bones to go with mine to make a batch of broth. I just don't know yet if they saved it yet. Plus I took a bunch of stuff home that I knew would be dumped.

As for your berries, just put them in a Ziploc and into the freezer ASAP. I'd leave them whole until you were ready to make jam or whatever, and it's possible they'll get kinda mushy anyway from freezing. I don't pre-treat any berries before freezing, except to pick off any spots & rinse.

I don't have a FM/Kroger card because I don't normally shop there, and a few other reasons that may need another thread about cause it includes my paranoia of who knows what about me & my habits. |em2|

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:59 pm

I’d never be embarrassed about your scrounging either RR! I say you both did a great job saving the holiday meal leftovers to make many more meals & snacks from them.

Good save on the wrapping paper too!

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:46 pm

The relish tray is another great place to scrounge after the holidays. Usually between the turkey carcass and the relish tray you can work up a nice soup.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:28 pm

OF....Thank you.
I put 28 pints of berries into two gallon zip locs. I did lose about 4 pts to mold. Thank you!

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:05 am

I'm thinking this thread needed a bump up......considering the current situation with shortages & bare grocery shelves.

My favorite store, that I can normally get great produce & meat sales from that can be 1/3 to 1/2 the price of any chain stores (and often even cheaper than that)...….isn't really having their great sales anymore. Not 100% sure if they're gouging because they can or just having to pay more themselves & pass the cost to customers. Probably some of both |em3|

And I have yet to find any store with toilet paper or other paper products for the last month. We're always told they get new shipments either daily or every few days, but I'm not really seeing it. You'd think being in lock down or shelter in place order, the panic shoppers would have eased up by now. But all I've seen is less & less on the shelves anytime I've ventured out.

So far, we are doing ok with what we have or that I've picked up along the way......with the exception of yeast. I thought I'd had another jar, but couldn't find it so it must be the one I'm using and almost out of...... I can do without it, but it would be good to have.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:01 am

OF do you have any restaurant supply stores nearby? They should have the yeast and toilet paper along with paper towels and Kleenex. It won’t be the soft fluffy kind but it will be better than nothing. The restaurant stores here are allowing customers to order online and drive up for curbside delivery even it they don’t have a business.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:55 pm

Remember ... you can always catch a wild yeast via sour dough.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Return to “Sometime I Just Want to Scream!”