Mice, Rats and Vermin ... Oh My!

Vent away!
patriceinil

Re: Mice, Rats and Vermin ... Oh My!

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:22 am

Very interesting, thanks for sharing this site.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:30 pm

The effectiveness of atleast one of those DIY recipes is under question...……...3 days ago I tried mixing peanut butter and baking soda and my strategy has been to keep providing it as long as their taking it & hoping that with enough bait the soda builds up in their system to do the trick. But according to the article it should only take about 1/2 tsp of soda per average rat and I know darned well I've used more than that much in the first batch and they should have gotten enough after eating the 3 or 4 nuggets left at each spot. First time I mixed about a tablespoon of peanut butter with enough soda to make it easy to handle without being sticky, so I'm not sure the amount of soda used but should have been plenty. I pinched off into pea sized nuggets and rolled them into more soda and left a few nuggets at a few known active places. Namely under the sink, under the front porch, under the house crawl space and in the greenhouse.
A couple hours later I checked and all the nuggets were gone in each location, so I made a double batch and did the same. Next morning, all nuggets were gone again so I made an even larger batch with larger nuggets each about the size of a medium to large grape and distributed a few at each place again. Yesterday when checking, some were gone and others still there so I replenished those gone. Today, similar pattern...….some gone, some still there.

The bait left under the sink and in the greenhouse were the ones that either took longer to disappear yesterday or are still there untouched as of this morning. BUT while they didn't take those under the sink, the cat sure was perked up and interested in the spaces around the dishwasher last night...as if there had been activity, they just didn't make their way into the cabinet under the sink. In the greenhouse, first check showed it took longer to disappear, but later is was gone. So I then put the bait inside the live trap and so far this AM it's still there and trap undisturbed. Under the house & front porch, all nuggets have disappeared each time, though not as fast as before. So either the recipe isn't as effective or I have more vermin than I thought.

And to add to my confusion, I've been letting the chickens lose in the yard and feeding them either chicken feed or leftovers in an area not that far from the coop/greenhouse and out in the open for the last several days in a row. USUALLY when I've done this, any food left overnight is gone by morning (rats cleaning up what the chickens left),, but that hasn't been happening since BEFORE I started with the DIY poison, and why I was thinking I only had 1 or 2 little buggers left after the war this past summer from the dogs, the cat & I with the bb gun. All that and that I hadn't seen any running around in the yard either. But I would expect to find more or better evidence they are dead or gone by now, though I will replenish the bait again just in case I'm being impatient......like usual.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:02 pm

Maybe they are toting it off to their burrow to stash and then dying inside there later??
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:19 am

I don't know...….maybe. When I checked around again today.....the nugget under the sink and in the green house are STILL there untouched. The ones under the house and the front porch are gone. I only had 2 nuggets left and put one under the porch and the other in a small space at the dishwasher. So far, still there, but we'll see in the morning. If the sink, dishwasher & greenhouse are still there, I may move them around to other spots.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:37 pm

and just when I thought I was getting ahead of the game (maybe, just maybe)...…...this morning there isn't a nugget to be found anywhere on this property. Not to mention, the one in the greenhouse was inside a live trap......they took the nugget without tripping the trap.

And if we had that many rats around here, I'd see more signs of them so this tells me the baking soda doesn't work! |em3|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:39 pm

Well that sucks.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:48 pm

|em17|

Return to “Sometime I Just Want to Scream!”