Mice, Rats and Vermin ... Oh My!

Vent away!
Icu4dzs

Re: Mice, Rats and Vermin ... Oh My!

Unread post by Icu4dzs »

Boy, this is a really OLD, but always CURRENT issue on the farm. I see "KID" has grown up quite a bit since this photo.

I've tried a number of the "bucket" style traps. Rats can jump out of a 5 gallon bucket with no difficulty. Mice on the other hand can not. Rats are much more intelligent than what you might expect but they are still suckers for the bait blocks. Nothing else I've tried has been anywhere near as effective. There are essentially 3 bait block "flavors" (if you will) and there is a specific schedule for using them because the rats get wise to them after a while. I've had more success with that schedule and have NEARLY eradicated them from the farm. There are still a few and when the bait blocks haven't been available for a while, they become even more effective.
Of course, the most important technique is to deny them any food source which then makes the bait blocks even more effective. The bait blocks don't kill for about two days. They eat them and go back home where, in about two days, they get sick and die. Trouble is they still get to "reproduce" but after a while that slows down as well.
Traps have to be emptied and should be "Non-kill" traps because the rats smell death on them and won't come back. The bait blocks, properly put in bait stations where only a rat/mouse can enter to get to the bait is the best technique I have experienced thus far. I'll find a picture of the bait stations I make with 3" PVC as a horizontal and 1 1/2" to hold the bait blocks vertically. These have been VERY effective. I can leave them anywhere and since none of my critters seems to hate rats enough to kill them or eat them, these bait stations are really quite useful. They are easy to fill and they are easy to check.
Cheers,
Trim sends
Your believing it is not required for it to be true. TMM
I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and NOT have it!
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I would love to see a picture of your bait station.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Icu4dzs

Unread post by Icu4dzs »

I have the photo of mine but can't remember how to put it here. The picture below is as close as I could get but essentially the exact same thing They just don't cut them off at each end and use a larger center pipe but everything else is what I am describing.
the PVC pipe (3") is 24" long and cut at 45 degrees on each end. In the center is a 1 1/2" hole into which a 1 1/2" piece of PVC pipe is fitted. (You sometimes have to use a rasp to widen the hole just a bit if you use a hole cutter with your drill. A PVC cap fits on the top of the 1 1/2" pipe. On the bottom of the three inch pipe you drill a hole just big enough to put a stiff piece of wire that fits all the way up to just below the top of the 1 1/2" pipe with the pipe cap. NOTE: NO GLUE is used for this.
The bait blocks have a hole through them. You just put the blocks over the wire (vertically) and about 4 of them can be put in. As the rats eat the first one, the next one drops down in its place. They will sometimes eat all 4 in one night...(which means they will be very sick in about 2 days).

I've had better luck with these than anything else on which I have spent a good deal of money. Use the sizes I put above and make about 5 of them at a time if you purchase one 3" pipe ten feet long and one 1 1/2" pipe 5 feet long.
If you make 10 of them you can put them all around and as I said, only rats can get in or out of them. They need to be long enough to the center that nothing else can reach in and grab the bait.

Figured it out...here's the pic of my bait stations.
Last edited by Icu4dzs on Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your believing it is not required for it to be true. TMM
I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and NOT have it!
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

Farmfresh

Thank you for posting that diagram. I bet they work especially well because they are most likely fastened to the wall. Rats and mice love traveling close to the wall.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Farmfresh

Here is an easy one!

Farmfresh

Original Dunk The Rat Trap - amazon

Return to “Sometime I Just Want to Scream!”