Rice - Brands, Flavors, Types and US Grown Brands

Farmfresh

Rice - Brands, Flavors, Types and US Grown Brands

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:15 pm

We started talking about rice in another thread. There are lots of different varieties, flavors, nutrition levels and sources. Since rice is also an EXTREMELY long storing prepper item AND gluten free for those allergy folks on here we need a thread.

What kind of rice do you buy? Where is it grown ... or do you know? Why do you buy what you buy and how do you store it?

US grown brands of Japonica rice.

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

patriceinil

Re: Rice - Brands, Flavors, Types and US Grown Brands

Unread post by patriceinil » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:54 pm

I typically buy Riceland rice because it’s grown here in the USA. I store it in either glass gallon jars or food safe buckets.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:03 pm

Like I said on the other thread...

I got a steal of a price on rice the other day at yes Walmart of all places. They have a 20 pound bag of Royal brand Basmati Rice for $17.84 right now. It comes from India. It is REALLY high quality rice. It always cooks up nice and fluffy.

Since we have three in the extended family with Celiac I buy rice in those big bags always. When I get it home I usually empty the big bag into repurposed plastic juice bottles. They hold a nice quantity of rice and keep it air tight and fresh. Then I store those on a shelf in my garage. Extra bags of rice - for prepping - are stored in sealed pails in the basement. I do occasionally rotate my stock, but rice lasts a LONG time if kept air tight, dark and cool.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:19 pm

NEWS 29/04/2016 3:51 PM AEST | Updated 15/07/2016 12:52 PM AEST
Types Of Rice: The Benefits, Differences And The Healthiest

... "White rice has the husk, bran layer and the germ removed. As a result of this extraction, white rice contains less nutrients than brown, black or red varieties.

"White rice has the husk ‘polished’ off and, if we look at 100 grams of white rice, it’s got 6.3 grams of protein," Austin said.

White rice comes in short-grain (for example, Aborio), medium-grain (Japanese-style) and long-grain (Basmati, Jasmine and Doongara), and for each of these varieties, the glycemic index differs.

"If you choose a Basmati or Doongara rice, they are low GI, whereas some of the other white rices are higher in glycemic index," Austin said." ...

"White rice has very little fibre because the outside husk is gone," Austin said. "White rice also contains iron but less than the brown rice."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/ ... 02746.html
-------------------------
Basmati Rice vs. Brown Rice April 3, 2019

Nutrition Facts

Let’s take a look at the side by side nutrition facts for 1 cup of basmati rice vs. brown rice to see how they compare.

Basmati Rice

Calories – 205
Calories from Fat – 4
Total Fat – 0.4 g
Sodium – 1.6 mg
Potassium – 55 mg
Total carbs – 45 g
Dietary Fiber – 0.6 g
Protein – 4.3 g
Calcium – 19.5 mg
Iron – 1.9 mg
Magnesium – 72 mg
Phosphorus – 150 mg
Copper – 0.2 mg
Manganese – 1.9 mg
Selenium – 11.8 mcg
Thiamin – 0.26 mg
Niacin – 3.2 mg
Vitamin B6 – 0.4 mg

Brown Rice

Calories – 218
Calories from Fat – 14.6
Total Fat – 1.6 g
Sodium – 2 mg
Potassium – 154 mg
Total carbs – 46 g
Dietary Fiber – 3.6 g
Protein – 4.6 g
Calcium – 19.5 mg
Iron – 0.8 mg
Magnesium – 83.9 mg
Phosphorus – 162 mg
Copper – 0.2 mg
Manganese – 1.8 mg
Selenium – 19.1 mcg
Thiamin – 0.2 mg
Niacin – 3.0 mg
Vitamin B6 – 0.3 mg

https://www.oldschoollabs.com/basmati-r ... rown-rice/

Return to “Pantry and Storage”