Grandma Nettie's Ham and Bean Soup - aka Bean Soup

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Farmfresh

Grandma Nettie's Ham and Bean Soup - aka Bean Soup

Unread post by Farmfresh »

First I can't believe that I never posted this before and second... I can't believe that I have never put this in writing (that I can find any way). Thank you for the prompting because now my family will have the recipe.

Grandma Nettie’s Ham and Bean Soup

1 - 1 # (or 20 oz) package of dry beans -
Grandma Nettie usually used white Northern beans, but she also did this soup with Hurst’s 15 Bean HamBeens. Even pinto beans will work in this recipe, but the bean you use DOES make a difference in flavor.
Water
¼ cup baking soda
----------------------
Water
I - ham bone with leftover meat on it.
1 diced onion
Garlic - plenty
black pepper - plenty
Optional…
Diced celery, red pepper flakes, oregano… LOTS more.
Pour your dry beans out in a dish pan or other pan and “look them” carefully. Beans ARE a natural product and tiny rocks, sand and debris CAN get mixed in the dry bean bag no matter how modern the machines are that pack them. She never missed this step.
Next
Count out EACH and EVERY bean. Grandma Nettie used to tell us she always did this. She said you always start the bean pot with EXACTLY 239 beans in it. NEVER allow that extra bean, for if you do it will make the beans in the pot “too farty” … (240)  Grandma Nettie humor there folks! |em12|
LOL
- After the beans are “Looked and Counted” they are rinsed well to clean them and put into a pot with plenty of clear water and brought to a boil. You want a lot of water because as they heat the beans start soaking it up.

*** Important added step if you are cooking at elevations (any place you have to change your canning times) the beans NEED to be cold water soaked for at least 12 hours BEFORE cooking. Fill the pot with water and beans and put them in the fridge overnight. Next morning rinse well cover with water and start the first boil.***

- When the pot has been boiling well for a few minutes take it off of the stove and set it into the sink. Dump in the ¼ cup of baking soda and stir well. BE READY. The baking soda will foam up into a green nasty looking foam. Grandma Nettie swore by this. She said that this weird step neutralized the gas effect in the beans and for whatever reason it DOES seem to work. No matter what bean recipe she made… even baked beans and the like she ALWAYS started beans in this way, and she was an AMAZING cook. (ask my hubby he will testify)

- Keep stirring the foamy beans until all of the foam disappears and the beans have cooled some. Then pour all of the beans and water into a colander and rinse extremely well. The soda has done it’s job it is time to be rid of it and the gas it pulls out. When the beans are rinsed well and clean, let them drip while you also clean out their pot.

- Then put the beans BACK into the pot. Add enough water to cover by double and put on the stove top to simmer. At this point you can also add your ham bone and a teaspoon of ACV to help leach minerals out of the bone. Start a slow simmer until the skins are peeling on the beans. Keep adding hot water as needed by adding from a boiling kettle, so that you don’t shock the beans and slow the beans down. How long this takes depends on lots of variables. How old were the beans and how were they stored? How high are you altitude? What is the humidity out today? Etc… Bean soup reheats amazingly, so this is a recipe best done BEFORE you really need to eat it or when you have plenty of time. (It CAN be done in a crock pot too on low, but watch the water levels)

- When the bean skins are peeling it is time to get seasoning. First add the diced onions and garlic. IF you are going wild and adding the optional veggies like celery, peppers or carrots add them now too. Grandma Nettie never addled those. Hers was a true simple soup. Simmer until the veggies are very soft. Now add black pepper. (and optional spices) Taste the beans. If you have been cooking with a true ham bone you may or may not need to add salt.

*** You MUST understand that this true basic bean soup is very cultural (Appalachia and Scottish ancestry usually). It is also VERY southern. AND a comfort food. People get weird about their bean soup. It is a poor people food. Where my dad’s people came from mom put a pot of beans on EVERY DAY. They were present at EVERY MEAL of the day year round. They never had much, but they could COUNT on a pot of bean soup to fill the empty spaces and give them the energy and protein that had to have to live a hard agricultural life. When you were really poor they would boil the bones until the bones were pretty much gone. When you had no ham you used lard. When you had nothing else they put in game. Raccoons have lots of fat, but the soup tastes pretty different. Pork is preferred. ***

Bean soup is intended to be soupy and juicy. The BROTH is where it is at. It should be hammy, savory with just a bit of black pepper kick. Cornbread is a MUST. You either slurp the broth and then eat the beans when the extra broth is done or crumble up your cornbread INTO the soup bowl to suck up that broth. (Or vice versa… some pour the soup over a plate of hot corn bread) The soup is traditionally served with a bowl of diced fresh onions, diced hot peppers or hot pepper sauce. Corn bread is always there. Usually butter and jam. A bottle of ACV is also offered (some (hubby's Iowa mom) add vinegar to the bowl - weirdos).

On the RARE occasion that we didn’t have cornbread (and Grandma Nettie made a SWEET light cornbread that could have passed for cake - which can cause a whole new war savory VS sweet.) She served sliced white bread sprinkled with sugar and drizzled with enough milk to make the sugar stick. (try it - it is amazing) You can also butter the bread (not toasted) and add the sugar. Sometimes on a whim dad (who could eat bean soup every meal) would crush in saltine crackers.

Bean soup is great reheated the next day. Just add some extra water if needed. YUM

Leftover bean soup for lunch.
ham and bean soup 1.24.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Farmfresh

Re: Grandma Nettie's Ham and Bean Soup - aka Bean Soup

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Farmfresh

Hurst-HamBeens 15-Bean-Soup.jpg
https://hurstbeans.com/recipes/traditio ... -stove-top

HURST Traditional 15 BEAN SOUP (stove top)

Recipe By Spend with Pennies

Easy to make, this 15 BEAN SOUP recipe is full of goodness with a beautiful blend of beans, ham, and a handful of flavorful veggies simmered in broth. Nothing takes the chill off better than a homemade bean soup recipe simmering on the stovetop! Original recipe from Spend with Pennies!
Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time - 2 hours Servings - 10

Ingredients
  • 1 package HamBeens® 15 BEAN SOUP® with seasoning packet

4 cups water
    4 cups low sodium chicken broth
    1 smoked ham hock or leftover ham or smoked sausage
    1 onion diced
    2 cloves garlic minced
    15 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
Cooking Directions

* Rinse beans and drain. Sort any unwanted debris and set seasoning packet aside.
* Place beans in a large pot of cool water. Cover and allow to soak at least 8 hours or overnight. After soaking, drain water.
* Add water and broth to a large pot.
* If using smoked ham hock, add with the water and broth to a large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cover. Cook 1 hour. (Note: if using ham bone, leftover ham or smoked sausage, it can be added along the beans in the step below and does not need to pre-cook.)

- Add, onion, garlic, and drained beans and reduce heat to a simmer, and cover. Cook 1 ½ to 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, chili powder, and lemon juice. Simmer uncovered for an additional 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the seasoning packet from the beans and season with salt & pepper to taste. Simmer 1 minute more.

Tips

Soaking beans before cooking decreases cooking time and can remove some of the complex sugars, making them more digestible. Be sure to discard the soaking liquid and use fresh water for cooking.
Soaking is optional. If beans are not soaked, add 1 cup extra liquid and cook 45-60 minutes longer (or until beans are tender).
This soup is thick and hearty, for a thinner soup, add more broth.
IMPORTANT: Add the tomatoes and lemon juice only when the beans are tender. Adding acidic ingredients to the beans before they are tender will keep them from softening like they should.
Serve with a slice of cornbread on the side.

Find this and more recipes at hurstbeans.com

15 BEAN SOUP® Crock Pot or Slow Cooker

Prep Time | 10 minutes Cook Time | 5 hours 30 minutes Servings | 12
Cooking 15 BEAN SOUP® in a slow cooker or crock pot is
one of the easiest and best ways to cook our best selling
product. Try this easy to follow recipe and you will have a pot
full of 15 BEAN SOUP waiting for you after a busy day.
Works great with a leftover ham bone after the holidays! See
cooking tips below the recipe for more info.
Most popular 15 BEAN SOUP® recipe all time on our site!
Cooking Directions
1. NO SOAK METHOD
2. In a colander or sieve, rinse beans thoroughly. Sort and inspect for any unwanted debris and discard.
3. Drain and pour beans in a slow cooker with 8 cups of stock/water, onions, garlic, and meat or hambone. (Not tomato or
lemon juice yet!). Use 9-10 cups of liquid if you like a more "brothy" soup.
4. Stir to combine. Set slow cooker on high and cook for 5-7 hours then check to make sure beans are tender. The soup can
continue to simmer for several hours and will develop more flavor over time.
5. After the beans are tender, remove the hambone (leave any ham in the pot), stir in the can of diced tomatoes, our Ham
Flavor packet, optional chili powder, and the lemon juice.
6. Cook for additional 30 minutes then keep warm until ready to serve.
7. We recommend to serve with a freshly baked slice of corn bread! You can also serve over rice as well.
8. Please keep in mind that every time the lid is opened, your cooking time will be longer.
Tips
For even more flavor, substitute beef, chicken or vegetable stock instead of water.
You can also try 1 lb. boneless chicken breasts or 1 lb. beef roast, then shred meat before Step 5 above.
As with all dry bean recipes, it's best to wait until AFTER the beans have become tender or fully cooked before adding any
acidic ingredients like tomatoes, citrus, vinegars, etc.
You can add other vegetables like carrots & celery for even more flavor and nutrients
Remember that this is a NO SOAK recipe, but if you have already soaked the beans that's not a problem, just use 1 cup of
water/stock less.
Variations on the recipe will work for almost all of Hurst's HamBeens items.
If you prefer a more "brothy" soup, add an extra cup of liquid when preparing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

I wasn’t raised eating a lot of beans but I’ve been trying to add more of them into my diet.

I prefer split pea soup over bean soup. My dad used to like the 15 bean soup you have linked above as well as a Lima bean soup. My sister makes both of them occasionally, I’m just not a fan of either.

Farmfresh

Like I said... I think bean soup is a cultural thing. You need to be poor and from the hills or the deep south.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

Not necessarily because my dad was raised in Wisconsin and Illinois but he was poor.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

Thank you!!!! So many choices!!
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

Farmfresh

You are welcome! And yes. That Basic soup recipe can be turned into a LOT of amazing dishes.