Coarse Ground Cornmeal

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
calendula

Re: Coarse Ground Cornmeal

Unread post by calendula »

I know that they process cornmeal differently now, with most commercial brands being degerminated. I don't know if that is part of the problem maybe? I bought some of the Bob's Red Mill cornmeal, and I think it would be more of what you are looking for. They leave the germ in and don't fortify it or anything. It is a much coarser grind than what you'll find with most commercial cornmeals.

HNA

Re: Coarse Ground Cornmeal

Unread post by HNA »

Well, for now...it will be the mix of the polenta with the other. Half and half. It seemed to get better results...and DH...actually exclaimed TWICE!!.....that it was much much better cornbread than the rubbery stuff. |em1|

See...in trying to find once more what I am searching for....I really need to know what level of "grind" the former stuff was.
Polenta-is actually too coarse.
The big bag on the shelf....at ALL the stores I have went to locally....is the finer ground stuff. Or...all "self rising". Useless.
I find the self rising has too much sodium. Makes the batter saltier, and still not the right texture.

I unfortunately have no previous empty bags of the older cornmeal ground. I don't remember it sayign anything different either. Mills just changed things...snuck it up on the consumer.

I ave looked online. That puts me back to having to identify which grind I am looking for. One site....have 5 or 6 different levels of grind. I need to see some in my hand to figure it all out. |em3|