Memorial Recipes

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Neko-Chan

Memorial Recipes

Unread post by Neko-Chan »

Another archived thread, which I thought should be given second life. Feel free to continue it.

Neko-Chan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:01 am
I thought it'd be fun to share the recipes of friends and relatives past. I started thinking about this because Grandpa Charlie gave me Grandma Cherry's recipe for a jell-o salad (which we all fondly called "the green stuff"). It's amazingly addictive and we always look forward to seeing it, and It's great because my hubs is now hooked on it too! I'm so happy I have the recipe now, so Grandma can live on in my kitchen. :)

"Green Stuff" (Green jell-o salad)

2 pkts lime/lemon jelly
1 cup mayo (after first batch, can reduce a little to taste)
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 lb small or large curd cottage cheese
1/2 can crushed pineapple
Handful walnuts
Maraschino cherries

Make jelly according to pkt directions. Leave till 1/2 set. Add all the remaining ingredients and put in fridge. Keep cool. Use glass, ceramic or plastic bowl, NOT aluminum. Can make a day ahead but must stay in fridge till served (it may separate and go watery otherwise).

Thank you Grandpa Charlie for giving me the recipe to my favoritest sweet salad ever. :D

Farmfresh » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:32 am
I think this thread is a great idea!

My recipe is in honor of the one person that truly showed me unconditional love when I was a child ... Grandma Nettie. :love:

Here is one of her specialties. Enjoy all!

Deep Dark Chocolate Cake

1 ¾ cup un-sifted all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
¾ cup cocoa powder
1 ½ teaspoon soda
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup boiling water

---

Combine all dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.
Stir in all remaining ingredients EXCEPT the boiling water. Beat thoroughly for 2 minutes.
Stir boiling water in by hand. Batter will be thin.
Pour into greased and floured 9 X 13 inch cake pan.
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 to 35 minutes.

Allow cake to cool and frost with ...

Quick and Easy Cocoa Frosting

½ cup butter
4 Tablespoons cocoa
6 Tablespoons milk
1 box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

---

Heat butter, milk and cocoa stirring constantly over low heat until mixture comes to a boil.
Remove from heat and add powdered sugar.
Beat until very smooth.
Stir in vanilla and stir until well combined.

Spread on cake while slightly warm.

lorihadams » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:27 pm
Grandma Amos's biscuits

5 or 6 cups self rising flour
2/3 cup Crisco
2 cups buttermilk

Sift flour, make a well in the flour. Mix crisco in the well, adding extra flour until you have crisco in peas sized pieces, then add buttermilk. Mix until you have a firm dough. Put on a rolling cloth, sprinkling flour, knead. Roll dough until about 1/4 inch thick. Cut with the ring of a mason jar lid or desired sized biscuit cutter and bake at 450 degrees until golden brown.

She used to make these in her wood cook stove in her kitchen every day. Our favorite was during the summer months when she would slather them with mayonnaise and serve with fresh tomato slices from the garden.

If you don't have self rising flour you can use all purpose with some baking soda and salt sifted in and mixed well and if you have your own rendered lard then you can certainly use that instead of the crisco.

lorihadams » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:33 pm
My granny's butterscotch delight

Crust
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar (brown or white)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1 stick butter melted

Mix all ingredients together and spread into a 9 x 13 pan or glass dish. bake at 350 degrees for about 10 or 15 minutes and cool completely.

Second layer
2 8oz packages cream cheese softened at room temp
16 oz cool whip
2 cups confectioner's sugar
2tsp vanilla

cream cheese and sugar together, add vanilla, mix in cool whip. Spread over cooled first layer. Save about 1/3 for the topping

Third layer
3 small boxes butterscotch instant pudding
4 cups sweet milk

mix pudding with milk, let set for a few minutes to thicken. Pour over second layer. Top with reserved cool whip mix. Cover with chopped pecans or toasted flaked coconut or both.

My granny takes this to almost every church gathering and there is never anything left

lorihadams » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:39 pm
My mama's barbeque deer

1 or 2 large onions sliced thin
1 stick butter
1/4 cup soy sauce

cook venison (any cuts) in pressure cooker for 45 minutes with onions, butter and soy sauce with enough water to cover meat on 15 lbs pressure. When cooked remove venison from pot. Reserve about 2 cups broth and onions. Shred meat and place in a shallow baking dish.

While the venison is cooking mix your sauce
1 large bottle kraft original bbq sauce
1 bottle sauers bbq sauce
1 can Budweiser

Pour sauce over shredded meat and if necessary add some broth. Place in a preheated 425 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes or until mixture dries down some and thickens.

lorihadams » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:44 pm

Granny's chicken and dumplins

1 3lb chicken
1/2 gallon water
1 stick butter
salt to taste
2 cups sifted self rising flour

Boil chicken in water until tender. Add to water 1 stick butter and salt to taste, bring broth to boiling point. Take out 1 1/2 cups of broth and make a dough with the flour. Add picked chicken back to broth and set aside. Divide in half and flour your rolling cloth real good, roll dough out until about 1/8 inch thick. Cut dough in about 2 inch pieces and put on a plate in layers and freeze hard. Bring broth back to a rolling boil and drop frozen dumplins in and shake pan to cover all pieces.

happily-never-after » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:25 am
Great idea neko!

hoosier » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:44 am
What a great idea! I love reading old recipes.

Farmfresh » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:12 am
I love EATING old recipes. :drool:

Old Fashioned

Re: Memorial Recipes

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I have a candy cookbook that has several recipes for fondant, both cooked and uncooked. But none are as easy as this & believe it or not, it's good. You can't taste the potato because of so much powder sugar.

Ma's Old Fashioned Chocolate Drops

1 boiled potato (makes about 1/2 to 1 C mashed)
enough powder sugar to make firm, yet pliable dough (about 2lbs, maybe more)
1 pkg baker's chocolate or dipping chocolate, melted

Mash the potato and start adding powder sugar. At first the mixture will become a moist goo. Just keep adding powder sugar, stirring to mix well after each addition. Eventually it will dry out & firm up. It's ready to work when a tablespoonful rolled in the palm of your hand holds it's shape. Using 2 forks, roll each ball in melted chocolate. Lay on wax or parchment paper lined cookie sheet. When finished, pop in the freezer for a few minutes to set the chocolate.

(adding a few drops of any extract to fondant will give flavor variety.)

Homemade Peppermint Patties

to fondant recipe add a few drops of peppermint extract during mixing. Roll a heaping tablespoonful of fondant into a ball, lay on waxed paper lined cookie sheet, flatten with palm of hand into a thick round disc shape. When finished making discs, go back and flip each one over. This helps to keep them dry & firm enough to be dipped in warm chocolate without falling apart. Working fast, dip each disc in chocolate. Freeze long enough to set.

Something DS3 & I love......

Homemade Chex Mix

3 C each Rice, Corn & Wheat Chex cereal
1 C mixed nuts
1 C pretzels
1 C bagel chips
(can substitute or add any favorite nibblers. I have also used cheese puffs/Cheetos, popcorn, corn chips)

Mix well in a large roasting pan.

6 T. butter
2 T worchestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder

Melt butter in small saucepan, stir in seasonings. Pour over mixed nibblers & stir to coat. Put in a 250 degree oven for about 45-60 minutes, stirring about every 15 minutes.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

Almost forgot.......These are sooo good and very easy to make.

Homemade Reese's Peanut Butter Bars

1/2 C butter, melted
1 C graham cracker crumbs
1 C powder sugar
3/4 C peanut butter

Mix well & spread into 8x8 square pan.

1 C chocolate chips
2 T peanut butter

Melt chips & stir together. Spread over crumb mix. Chill to set. Cut into squares.

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy »

I'll have to try some of these later on.