Bulb Flowers

Neko-Chan

Bulb Flowers

Unread post by Neko-Chan »

Does anyone else like bulb flowers? I LOVE all kinds of daffodils, but I also like bearded irises, bluebells, tulips and gladiolas. I plant them in borders with my food plants. :)

Farmfresh

Re: Bulb Flowers

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Oh I certainly do! I had lots of bulbs planted at the old house. I am still hoping to be able to move some of them here. I am sure I have plenty for both places.

I have daylilies, oriental lilies, Asian lilies, daffodils, iris, tulips, and lots of the minor bulbs like crocus and wood hyacinths among others.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

animalfarm

Unread post by animalfarm »

I like them as well. Way back in the day, I used to have lots of iris, tulips and daffodils. I would like to have them now, but just don't have time for the nice stuff yet. Still working on fruit trees and berries.

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy »

I like them, but haven't had the time to plant like I'd like to.

calendula

Unread post by calendula »

We used to grow glads at the apartment. We had to dig up the bulbs every year and store them because our winters get too cold for them. They were pretty though. I had planted crocuses, but they never really spread much, so they were kind of a let down.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

The jumbo crocus always performed better if you ask me. They cost a bit more but were well worth it.

I loved my "minor" bulbs, probably more than the big showy ones like tulips. I planted jumbo crocus, snow crocus, snow drops, grape hyacinth, wind flowers, various small allium, wood hyacinth, anemone, siberian squill, and species daffodil in a small bed right beside the front door at the old house. The very early bulbs that started blooming in February, like the snow drops and crocus, were worth their weight in gold after a nasty cold winter. Even if winter was not over they provided me with hope for spring.

My rather wild and wooly bulb garden at the old house.

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Neko-Chan

Unread post by Neko-Chan »

I recently bought yellow and red daffodils, and white and peach daffodils. I can't wait to see them planted.

I am vaguely considering the idea of planting bulb flowers in part of my garden plots, so that I can grow some color there, and maybe sell cut flowers.