Homemade Apple Pectin and ALL About Pectin

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Farmfresh

Homemade Apple Pectin and ALL About Pectin

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Homemade Pectin from Apple Scraps

* 2 quarts apples (cores and peels, or whole unpeeled apples chopped into 1-inch chunks) Keep in mind that tart, under-ripe apples contain more pectin than sweet, ripe ones.
* 1 gallon water
-----------------------
Place the apples in a large pot. Add enough water to not quite cover the apples. Bring to a boil. Simmer at least an hour until all the apple bits get mushy. Strain overnight in jelly bag.
~~~~
To Use - use about 1/4 cup apple pectin per cup of fruit for jams. For jellies, use 1/4 cup apple pectin per cup of fruit juice. Measure the combined pectin and juice and add an equal amount of sugar.
~~~~
To Store - you can either freeze apple pectin or can it.
To can it, heat the strained pectin just to a boil. Pour into clean pint canning jars, leaving 1/2-inch of headspace. Secure the lids, and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes (adjust the canning time if you live at a high altitude).
To freeze, transfer the pectin to freezer-safe containers (small jam jars will work, especially ones geared toward freezer jam) and freeze for up to 6 months.
~~~~
LOW pectin fruits: Blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, rhubarb, elderberries, peaches, apricots, nectarines, Italian plums, sweet cherries, dessert apples, pears, figs, guavas, pineapple, and marrow.

MODERATE pectin fruits: Elderberries, ripe sweet apples, sour cherries, grapefruits, grapes, oranges

HIGH pectin fruits: Lemons, limes, bananas, crab apples, tart, underripe apples, cranberries, unripe blackberries currants, plums (but not Italian variety), eastern Concord grapes, gooseberries, and quince.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/homemade- ... in-1327832
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Re: Homemade Apple Pectin and ALL About Pectin

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

Thank you!!

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

Yes, thanks for creating this thread FF!

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I thought we already had it before. Probably one I was going to do and never got back to.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!