Rabbit Recipes

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
calendula

Rabbit Recipes

Unread post by calendula »

My son is an avid hunter, and recently shot 3 rabbits. I am looking for recipes using rabbit meat, and thought some of you may have cooked rabbit before, and might have some recipes to share. Specifically, I am looking for a good rabbit stew recipe and Rabbit "Fried Chicken." But I would love to read any recipes that you know of.

Old Fashioned

Re: Rabbit Recipes

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

Sorry, I'm not much help here. I've had rabbit when I was a kid, but have never cooked it. My thought if I ever did....would be to treat it just like chicken, BUT |em22|

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy »

I had rabbit when I was a teen, but the only thing I remember is that my brother didn't get all the shot out of it, and there was some pellets in the piece I had!

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Here was one of our favorites

Bunny and Noodles

1 rabbit cut up in fryer pieces
4 carrots roughly chopped
1 small onion chopped
2 stalks celery roughly chopped
1-2 teaspoons black pepper
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1-2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1 teaspoon rosemary (always a good herb with rabbit meat)
water
1 cup frozen peas
chopped green onion (optional)
salt to taste
Egg Noodles

-----

Add the rabbit, carrots, celery, onion and spices to a crock pot and cover with water.  Set on LOW heat for at least 3 hours until rabbit is falling off of the bones.  Remove the rabbit and de-bone.  Meanwhile turn the remaining liquid to the high setting and bring to a boil. Add in the noodles cook until the noodles are mostly done.  Cornstarch can be added if necessary to thicken the sauce.  Usually the noodles will do the job.  When the noodles are mostly done add the meat back into the pot stir well and salt and pepper to taste.  Finally add in the frozen peas.  You want them to heat through but still be firm and green.  Chopped green onion can be added at this time if you want as well.  This makes a delicious one pot supper!

I usually add the heavier amounts of mustard and pepper as we like it with a little kick around here.  I never add salt when cooking rabbit meat.  Salt tends to dry out meat and rabbit tends to dry out easily anyway.  Salt after the meat is cooked.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!