Homemade Lunch Meat

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Farmfresh

Homemade Lunch Meat

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I have the meat - now cooked in the crockpot - from those two old hens that the stupid coyote killed. I basically just kept breasts, legs, thighs and wing drummets, because I was dry plucking them and didn't want to deal with the rest. Yesterday I cooked them low and slow in the crockpot for most of the day. I ate most of the wings for lunch. The turkey is very flavorful, but since the birds are 2 and 3 years old they are still pretty tough. I think my plan is to try out that leftover turkey lunch meat. I will need to go to the store for some plain gelatin first. I'll let you know how it turns out.

You can basically use ANY leftover cooked meat. Here is the recipe:

Homemade Lunch meat

Cooked meat 2 – 3 pounds (grind or chop fine)
Onion, garlic ( powders) salt, pepper,
2 pkgs Knox gelatin
3 cups broth

Finely grind the cooked meat. Mix gelatin with a ½ cup of cold water. Heat broth to boil and add gelatin. Spice to taste.
Turn out into parchment lined loaf pan and set to cool. Slice for sandwiches and enjoy.

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

HybridHomesteader

Re: Homemade Lunch Meat

Unread post by HybridHomesteader »

Howie is hilarious. |em12|

Looks good. Kinda like Spam, no?

G
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I will have to check that out.

What I like to do with leftover chicken is to chop or mince it fine, maybe add some onion, salt, pepper & mayo for a homemade version of 'deviled chicken' sandwich spread. Can even add some chopped celery too.

With leftover beef, it's about the same as chicken, but also add a bit of horseradish.

Farmfresh

Well I ran it through the grinder. Simmered up the broth with the gelatin and mixed the mush together. It TASTES like roast turkey. Pretty good! We dumped it into loaf pans and covered it with wax paper. It is chilling currently. I will let you know how it comes out and how it slices. We had 5 pounds of meat after we cooked and deboned it, so hopefully this turns out well and will even freeze decently. It will sure make a nice addition to quick summer lunches.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

Sounds good FF, yours too OF.

Farmfresh

Well the lunch meat went over great with my hubby! He ate two big sandwiches of it for supper last night. I am quite certain it is far more nutritious that anything you can buy at the store too, so win - win!

It un-molded perfectly and made nice 1/4 inch slices with ease. Really turned out nice. I molded most of it in mini loaf pans and cut the big loaf pan into a similar size chunks. I wrapped each loaf Christmas style in wax paper and then put each loaf into a quart freezer bag. Hopefully it will freeze and thaw nicely.

Two chunks for eating now, I went ahead and sliced up then wrapped the sliced loaf in the wax paper and put those into a bag as well with access so the slices will be easy to take out of the sack. I am sure that will be eaten up soon.

I would like to try this now with other meats. I bet chicken and ham would be delicious.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

I'll be interested if the binding holds the water, after freezing. What a fab idea!
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

I bought a plastic with metal blade Rival meat slicer at the GW up here. $13 with tax. I'm interested in making that luncheon meat, cus hubs has it every day on a sandwich.
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

Farmfresh

For sure give it a try.