Homemade Cream of Soup

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Homemade Cream of Soup

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I would guess the recipe for Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Chicken or most other Cream of...... soups would be about the same, just change the main ingredient and maybe adjust seasonings to accomodate it.

Cream of Mushroom

1//2 lb mushrooms, chopped and/or sliced
1/4 C. chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 C. butter
1/4 C. flour
2 to 4 C. milk
salt & pepper to taste

Melt butter in saucepan, add garlic and onion. Cook till fragrant & translucent. Add mushrooms, cook till tender. If needed, add more butter. then add flour to make a roux. Slowly add milk till it's as thick or thin as you like. Season with salt & pepper

GF version.....use cornstarch mixed with a bit of the milk as thickener........... I'm just guessing here that it would work with cornstarch, IDK

Cream of Chicken......substitute chicken for the mushrooms, maybe add a dash of paprika

patriceinil

Re: Homemade Cream of Soup

Unread post by patriceinil »

Thanks OF, and yes the corn starch will work to thick but sweet white rice flour will make a rue like wheat flour does so that is what I tend to use. Yes to just swapping out the main ingredient too!

I make homemade gf cream of chicken soup to use in recipes like the cheesy hash brown casserole or other casseroles that call for cream of whatever soup.