Rocket Stoves and all things pertaining there to!

Farmfresh

Re: Rocket Stoves and all things pertaining there to!

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:08 am

I made a Greenhouse thread. I thought it would be a good place to show what you already have and to discuss ideas. High tunnels and low tunnels too.

Do either of you have either one of those?
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Icu4dzs

Unread post by Icu4dzs » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:40 pm

Dirtdevil wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:08 am
This is a six inch J tube heater. When I started it I didn't know about batch box heaters and besides there would not be enough room. It's not a load fuel and forget it for five hours. I have to find things to do that allow me to feed new fuel into it about every half hour to forty five minutes. For now I am going to isolate the area around the bed so that only the bed and the space above it get heated. Live and learn. If I did it again I'd build a eight inch system. Still, right now is the worst part of the winter for temps and we have gained a half hour of sunlight since the solstice so it will be getting better. I am going to build some insulation panels to cover the GH at night but that won't be right away. The price of styrofoam is pretty nutz now. I am on the Donkey32 site. There is also a lot of good information on this site .

https://permies.com/forums
Not too long ago, I bought about 100 4x8 sheets of 3&4" styrofoam for $300. I have most of them stacked in one of my sheds currently. They are destined to be integrated into an ice house and the rest for insulation in the house to ensure whatever heating fuel I have is maximized. They will decrease the size of the room by about 4" on all sides, but that is a small price to pay to be warm in a climate such as I have here.

I have my 6" square tube Rocket stove in my machine shop which has ZERO insulation. I spend most of my time there just feeding the thing. I added a small wood burning stove to the stack so I could keep a fire going and have the rocket stove increase the over all amount of heat produced. It keeps me so busy, I don't get much time for welding/machining, etc. Once the weather gets back into the +40's, I'll start going in there. Right now I spend most of my time in my 10 x 24 hand-tool room in the building where my wood shop is located. I have the same wood stove in that room so when I fire that thing up, I am sweating bullets in less than 10 minutes.

I have water heater tanks ready for another build and this next build is going to be a batch box type. I need to be able to do something other than just stoke the fire! |em22|
Cheers,
Trim sends
Your believing it is not required for it to be true. TMM
I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and NOT have it!
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:04 pm

At our old house we had a teenage son. A teenage GEEK son. He was constantly beeping a video game or computer something until late in the night. When the time came to re-do his bedroom, old mom had a brilliant idea. I insulated ALL of the walls and not just the exterior ones - just to keep the rest of the house quieter. It worked great.

Then the kid GEEK moved out. And we were in the house alone just me and hubby. And summer came. Hubby was ready to turn on the central A/C, but I am cheap. We were now the owners of a room sized insulated box, so we went out and bought a window air conditioner sized to cool that box. We moved our TV in there and my computer and a futon sofa. Then we moved in US.

Most of the year we could do just well in the house with the ceiling fans and by shading the windows when the sun came in, but when it got hot... Missouri hot and humid... we moved into that bedroom, turned on the little A/C and lived in total EFFICIENT and cheap comfort.

If I lived someplace cold... REALLY cold like you do Doc... I would make just such a room within the regular walls of the house. You might not normally need it, but having one room that was really easy and efficient to keep warm would be a great idea in an extended emergency situation.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Dirtdevil

Unread post by Dirtdevil » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:08 am

Deal of the century on the styrofoam. I never find deals like that.

I understand about constantly feeding a fire. Gets really old after a while. I'd think about using at least one of those water heater tanks to build a gasifier. It's well within your skill set. I don't think I've posted this here. This is a pretty simple up-draft charcoal gasifier that he built with no welding.
https://wiki.opensourceecology.org/wiki ... asifier.22

I also bought the book from this guy on Amazon. It has a step by step description, parts list, everything you need to know to build his design of a wood fired gasifier. Highly recommend buying it just for all the dimensions.

I know that there is a gasifier thread but I don't think anybody but me and ICU would be interested in this. You could relocate the links.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:46 am

Nah. This one can stay right here. It is not that we are not interested... some of us just lack the skills at this point in our lives. But what fascinating stuff!

BTW ... I will be sharing this info with folks that CAN do it that are important friends of mine.

Dirtdevil

Unread post by Dirtdevil » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:16 am

Basic welding is not that hard a skill to pick up. Especially with the welding machines available for fairly low cost today. I can't think of a more useful homestead skill other that being able to grow food. If you can hold a pencil by the end and make a straight row of squiggly lines on a piece of paper you can stick weld and Mig welding only requires you to be able to squeeze a trigger and move at a slow steady pace.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:50 am

It is one skill I have long regretted not learning. My cousin was going to teach me... a long while back, but we never got it done. These days with my health issues I recognize that it is a boat that has sailed for me. But I have several folks (on my emergency team) that are proficient. One in particular, to whom I sent that link this morning, is a constant builder and tinkerer. A now retired engineer that is always looking for something to fixate on and diddle with. He is proficient in metal working. He can forge, pour castings, weld and is an excellent blacksmith. This is right up his alley.

Dirtdevil

Unread post by Dirtdevil » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:35 pm

Well I'll put some links in the gasifier thread in case he gets real interested.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:01 pm

Thanks.

Return to “Wood Power”