Vet Bills!

Kitties and ponies or goats and dogs these are animals that we keep just because we love them.
dizzy

Vet Bills!

Unread post by dizzy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:30 am

I hope my pictures made it into the thread, they're from an injury Licorice got.

When I first realized that she was injured and saw the blood coming out non stop, I took the first picture and sent it to the vet. It looked like a lot of blood and I was afraid she was going to bleed out. I couldn't get a vet out that day, everyone I called was swamped! My vet assured me it wasn't that bad and to just wrap it until the next day.

The next day, her assistant came out, cleaned it all up, gave her shots and medicine. She left me with a tube of ointment to use on the wound. She had originally told me to use raw honey on it, then changed her mind and gave me the ointment. I just got the bill. If I'm reading the bill right, that tube of ointment was $125! I would have preferred the price of the honey!

So if you need the vet out, make sure you know the price of any medicines they may want to use as well as if there's a cheaper way to go.
Attachments
KIMG0696.JPG
KIMG0696.JPG (3.41 MiB) Viewed 624 times
KIMG0692.JPG
KIMG0692.JPG (4.88 MiB) Viewed 624 times

dizzy

Re: Vet Bills!

Unread post by dizzy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:25 am

I just checked the bill again and feel a bit better even though the amount was wrong, it was $137! It was for the shots I had to give her. I don't even see the ointment on the bill.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:53 pm

Wow. What did she catch it on? That is a bad spot, because now her hoof will probably develop a week crack. That stinks on the bill cost as well. OUCH.

We had a mare once that cut a vein in her thigh open. There was POOLs of blood. The vet said they can loose a gallon like we can give a pint. Crazy.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:07 pm

I don't really know. The vet didn't seem to think there would be any long-time complications.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:01 pm

Like a nail bed in a person, the coronet band is where the hoof wall develops. When that coronet band is cut like that it often heals with a slight scar. Where that scar is the hoof wall will often grow out funny because that part of the hoof developing cells are damaged.

My sister had a horse that did an almost identical looking wound to his hind hoof. Caught it on a sharp piece of tin sticking out from the barn. Forever after his hoof wall would grow out with a dividing crack down the side right at that injury point. She had to keep him shod to hold the crack together or he would go lame with riding. I hope that your horse's injury is above that point.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:31 pm

Next time I have the farrier out, I'll ask him about it. Unless someone else needs a vet, she's not due out until March or April for shots.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:37 pm

Good idea. She might even have something she can do to prevent further issues.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:40 am

Wow, I hope she’ll be okay and now have any further problems with that hoof!

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:20 am

I talked to my SIL the farrier (Blacksmith). He said to really work hard to prevent as much scar tissue as you can. It is the scar tissue that causes the issue with regrowing the hoof wall.

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:17 pm

So far it looks fine. She doesn't seem to be developing any proud flesh. The farrier is coming out next Saturday, so I'll see what he says.

Return to “Companion Animals”