Now that the S has HTF.......

Old Fashioned

Now that the S has HTF.......

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:19 pm

and I think from the looks of the news, closures & store shelves we can all agree on that. It is here and now......though I also have a nagging feeling this is only a practice run for something bigger later. Either way, we must realize that what we do have on hand now, will have to keep us up & running (alive) for not only the duration, but into the future as well. If we don't have it now, we're tough out of luck...…..hopefully this pandemic won't last too long. I don't think our numbers have crested yet but with measures to contain it are happening hourly, I'm guessing it can be a month or two before things start to go back to 'normal'...…...hopefully I'm wrong and will be sooner. But once it is over, don't let your guard down. Prepare to double or triple your supplies when they become available.

Other thoughts...…...I've heard that some banks are refusing large withdraws. OK, but that gets me to thinking with so many public places being closed up, banks will as well sooner or later. Probably any automatic deposits/withdraws and debit cards, atms & pos will still work.....atleast for awhile. But again, if there is nothing available to buy, those debit cards are meaningless, and for the most part, cash as well. IF at all possible, 'take care of business NOW while you still can'

And don't forget it's still kinda early in the game so just because your stores are empty today, there is still a good chance it will be restocked soon since the manufactures/suppliers are still functioning......as far as I know. But that may not be for very long either before it all stops.

Just some thoughts rattling around in my pea brain and something to think about. Please share any other suggestions & thoughts that may help others how to navigate thru this.

patriceinil

Re: Now that the S has HTF.......

Unread post by patriceinil » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:40 pm

Double whatever you had planned to plant this year. Make sure you aren’t wasting seeds by planting according to the package directions of 2-3 seeds per hole only to thin later! Those seeds will be needed in the future growing seasons. It’s time to get serious about the garden and growing as much as you possibly can to feed yourself and your family.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:41 pm

This is not my first SHTF. When I had to quit work and go on disability we had a similar event... only on a personal scale. No pay for me for 6 months with bills still coming in nice and regular. We entirely lived on my preps. I learned quite a bit from that "practice." At least as far as stocking my shelves was concerned.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:17 pm

Agreed Farm, as we've been thru a few trial runs as well. The biggest difference now is that it's completely out of our control and there isn't anything to be gotten, so to speak. And with our practice runs, it's only been a matter of our funds. And atleast for us, when hubs was diagnosed & neither of us could work anymore, we did have the boys that had allowed us to qualify for assistance. It sure wasn't enough to pay everything and had to sure juggle who got paid that month and who didn't. And I'm sure it was similar with your situation & going from 2 paychecks to 1. But atleast the stuff was there to be had, whether or not we could afford to buy it or not. Now that's not the option.

And as mentioned in another thread......if you don't have a plan of who you might help (or not) and/or how to use your stuff, now would be the time to get that figured out.

I'm already in ration mode just to make things last as long as possible. We aren't going without, nor are we skimping much......but near everything is being done with purpose and to have a second life and/or being stretched in some way. I've already told (reminded) the boys to only take what you plan to eat or need, NO wasting anything and the old 'use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without'. They've been raised with all that, but this time it's for real. NO ifs, ands or butts. And tonights dinner is a roasted chicken that should provide atleast 2 meals, plus wings saved aside AND bones for broth.
I still haven't decided about butchering or not. I was planning to, then the bottom dropped and those extra hens might come in handy right about now. :wink:

My list of priorities are blood family comes first, extended family members a tight 2nd, friends/neighbors bringing up the rear based on their actual need vs laziness...and/or just how much I actually offer to help and other than #2 & #3 (and maybe even them too) will be part of a barter. Cause I'm not looking forward to being left empty handed and without necessities while everyone else is swimming in it.

Patrice, I agree on the garden. To grow as much as possible, expand your planting area and 'plant on purpose'....or like you say to be careful of the seed you use. Having to thin stuff is only wasting it IMO. Better to plant too few seeds than too many. But then there's me, who ends up wasting seed because I have to replant several times before actually getting anything to grow |em5|

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:27 pm

Almost forgot...…...canning jars & lids. If you can find them, get em.

and if you're brave enough, keep those store bought jars with lids that have rubber seals. If nothing else, they can be used for dry goods, jams, maybe even fruit or tomatoes, and/or ferments like pickles & kraut and is saving your regular canning jars for veggies, meats, etc.

Also a great time to double check your canners, seals & gauges for PC's, dehydrators and other such type gadgets that we use often. Maybe get another one?

Gasoline......fill up your tanks, gas cans, propane (thanks Murph), things like that as they are saying the oil industry is in the process of tanking (pun intended :lol: ) as we speak.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:42 pm

Definitely stock up on the canning supplies if they are to be had still! Also any garden amendments you might need as well as garden tools.

Dirtdevil

Unread post by Dirtdevil » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:27 pm

I doubt anyone is out buying up canning supplies. One thing I would recommend is coffee filters. You can make a water filter even with a two liter pop bottle by cutting the bottom out of the bottle, putting a coffee filter in the neck. Fill that with powdered charcoal but not briquettes, place another coffee filter on top of that, add a layer of sand, another coffee filter and then some small washed gravel. Just pour the water through it. If bacterial is a concern, boil the water first or chlorinate it. The charcoal will absorb the chlorine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=charcoa ... ph0JrQtX4M

You can buy activated carbon on-line eg from Amazon. It would work even better than just powdered charcoal. You can also make much larger versions of this type of filter but you may need something like cheesecloth instead of coffee filters as a barrier between the different sub-straits.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:55 pm

Thanks DD, I’ll check the link out.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:24 am

Great input all around!

Funny this... I am always the prepper. Now hubby is waking up a bit. We aren't afraid of the virus ... we are afraid (ok not afraid afraid... but watching closely) the PANIC.

If I was in charge of things right now. I would strip the warehouses and simply PACK the stores with toilet paper. Extra in stacks in the middle of the isles and put it on sale ... buy two the third for 20% off. Shove it at them in the best show of capitalism ever. Even if you have nothing left to back that hand, the bluff will knock the wind out of it. An empty shelf scares this material world. Give them mountains of toilet paper and you can squash the panic.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Dirtdevil

Unread post by Dirtdevil » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:30 am

PRESTIDIGITATION.

You should not be surprised at all the stuff congress gets done while they have everybody focused on Covid

https://humansarefree.com/2020/03/the-e ... nline.html

Return to “In The News - Another Reason to Scream!”