Growing Groceries from Vegetables Bought at the Grocery Store

patriceinil

Growing Groceries from Vegetables Bought at the Grocery Store

Unread post by patriceinil » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:30 am

You can plant store bought food scraps to produce seed for next gardening season or even get more food from those scraps to enjoy. Some vegetables will produce more of themselves to eat like celery, green onions, potatoes and lettuce while others will grow a plant that will produce seeds for you to save to grow more vegetables from like carrots and cabbage. Tomatoes will produce plants that yield more tomatoes that you can then save the seeds from to plant later.

Below are some helpful videos to show you how to grow food from your kitchen scraps.

Farmfresh

Re: Growing Groceries from Vegetables Bought at the Grocery Store

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:06 pm

Thanks Patrice!
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:18 pm

You’re welcome I hope it inspires some of you to try regrowing you kitchen scraps.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:24 pm

One thing I've noticed, is that many lettuces sold today may not have enough of the core to regrow from, so you may have to look around for them.

Also, the celery....while it will grow more to harvest as needed......it will also go to seed if enough of it is left to do so.

And we must remember too the draw backs of store bought...…..the risks of disease being spread in your garden, soil & crops. But in hard times and until you can get good seed or starts, it may still be worth the effort in order to put something on the table.

The main disease I'm talking about is the potatoes......that many store bought have those black spots inside that are blight (I think). While we cut off those spots to cook & eat as fresh....if those are planted for new crops may transfer that blight into the new crop and/or soil they're grown in.

Another thought is if the seeds from store bought are hybrids and any crop we may grow from them may not turn out anything like the parent crop. Then again is the issue of those seeds and if they will even germinate.

Not really trying to be a downer here, cause I have and still do grow some things from the store...…..I'm just giving the heads up on possible problems that anyone that doesn't know, doesn't think they can run right out and get a great abundance without knowing the possible problems and challenges that come with it.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:35 pm

All good points OF, you’re better off starting seeds for the particular varieties you want to grow if you have seeds on hand or can easily obtain them.

It’s also a reminder that you can certainly do all the things suggested in the videos with the scraps from things you grow in your own garden and then you’ll lessen the risk of contamination to your soil.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:56 am

There are no potatoes to be found here in town. Not WM, Safeway, or WINCO. BUT!!!!! I have lots of dehydrated potatoes from when I was eligible for the produce 1x a month giveaway in Calif.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:07 pm

I noticed that the other day when I went to my favorite store (local chain, not national) there was only some loose bulk potatoes, but not one bag of them. I just thought they hadn't gotten their shipment in time. I didn't realize that was everywhere. Now I'm curious about the other stores as well.
Thankfully they had had a sale not too long ago and I had bought 4 10lb bags, so we're good for now.

Return to “Gardening”