Broccoli

HybridHomesteader
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:29 pm

Broccoli

Unread post by HybridHomesteader » Thu May 07, 2020 9:37 am

Not sure if this the best spot for this question but since it’s “storage” this is where it’s landing.

I have a great crop of broccoli this year. We usually eat it about once a week. Obviously I can’t keep in the fridge that long.

How is it best to store? Blanch and freeze?

What is your experience here?

Thanks

G

Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

User avatar
Old Fashioned
Posts: 4266
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Broccoli

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu May 07, 2020 9:44 am

I've only blanched & froze......but I've wondered about either canning or dehydrating it. I think canning would make it mush, but not sure about dehydrating |em22| It would be good to know if it's worth doing, for an alternate way of keeping.

HybridHomesteader
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: Broccoli

Unread post by HybridHomesteader » Thu May 07, 2020 9:59 am

Old Fashioned wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:44 am
I've only blanched & froze......but I've wondered about either canning or dehydrating it. I think canning would make it mush, but not sure about dehydrating |em22| It would be good to know if it's worth doing, for an alternate way of keeping.

I did a Giardiniera one year with cauliflower and carrots. I can’t remember if it had broccoli. But that’s like a relish or bbq side dish. |em22|

How long did you blanch and was it in a ziplock or vacuum sealed?

G
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

User avatar
Old Fashioned
Posts: 4266
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Broccoli

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu May 07, 2020 10:09 am

I blanched till the color turned bright, maybe a minute??? But I don't really like the results of home frozen broccoli. And I use ziplocs. so maybe vacuume would work better IDK.

I did a Gardiniera last year as well, but didn't include broccoli and I know most store bought's don't have broccoli in it either...….but I don't see why it wouldn't work. So maybe pickling broccoli is an option. IDK.

patriceinil
Posts: 10521
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:49 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Broccoli

Unread post by patriceinil » Thu May 07, 2020 10:25 am

Canned broccoli is nasty! I bought some broccoli cheddar canned soup and it was disgusting. The broccoli was mushy and grayish, I threw the soup away.

You’re better off blanching and freezing it. I don’t think it dehydrated well either.

HybridHomesteader
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: Broccoli

Unread post by HybridHomesteader » Thu May 07, 2020 11:10 am

patriceinil wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:25 am
Canned broccoli is nasty! I bought some broccoli cheddar canned soup and it was disgusting. The broccoli was mushy and grayish, I threw the soup away.

You’re better off blanching and freezing it. I don’t think it dehydrated well either.
Yeah, I wouldn’t can it. Too mushy. I have some I dehydrated years ago. I’ve never used it. I think blanching is going to be my best bet.

I imagine this is what broccoli is best when eaten seasonally.

G
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

patriceinil
Posts: 10521
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:49 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Broccoli

Unread post by patriceinil » Thu May 07, 2020 5:21 pm

Exactly!

WhiteWolf
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 3:41 pm

Re: Broccoli

Unread post by WhiteWolf » Fri May 08, 2020 9:53 am

I've always frozen it. Blanch about 3 minutes till deep green. Back then - I was using either freezer containers or ziplocks. We ate a LOT of broccoli, so it kept well enough for our winters.

Freeze-drying is probably better for long-term, but I still haven't done fresh research on those.

HybridHomesteader
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: Broccoli

Unread post by HybridHomesteader » Fri May 08, 2020 10:55 am

WhiteWolf wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:53 am
I've always frozen it. Blanch about 3 minutes till deep green. Back then - I was using either freezer containers or ziplocks. We ate a LOT of broccoli, so it kept well enough for our winters.

Freeze-drying is probably better for long-term, but I still haven't done fresh research on those.
Thank you. Good to know.
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

Post Reply

Return to “Pantry and Storage”