Canning Potatoes - EZ

Low acid foods, like most veggies, ready made recipes and meats all require pressure canning to keep them safe.
Farmfresh

Canning Potatoes - EZ

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:47 am

I found this great canning video that I thought I should post. Potatoes is not really something that I have bothered to can much in the past, maybe I will start. Have you ever canned potatoes?

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Old Fashioned

Re: Canning Potatoes - EZ

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:16 pm

I've seen some of her videos. She seems like good people. Potatoes are on my to do list this year, for sure. Not done it yet, other than I did a few jars of mixed veggies with taters in it last year. Though I don't want to do the seasonings with them so I have more choice of how to use them later.

Her canner is much like mine, other than I have the weights that jiggle at pressure. She calls hers a regulator and it didn't jiggle from what I can tell |em22|

HybridHomesteader

Unread post by HybridHomesteader » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:04 pm

Ok I’m just going to say it. I haven’t watched the video but your not supposed to can potatoes with the peels on.

I’ve done it and I didn’t die. But just so y’all know that’s what they say.

G
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:13 pm

She says it depends on the type of potato that she cans. She cans Yukons and Reds with skin on and peels others.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:25 pm

Oooops…..those taters in mixed veggies (corn, carrots, green beans & IDK what else) were russets from the garden and I didn't peel. I didn't die either...….but then I canned for nearly 40 years in a water bath too.

BTW......what is supposed to be wrong with the peels??? |em22|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:44 pm

I would bet it is because commercial potatoes are SPRAYED to death. Of course they will say there is toxin in the potato skin themselves. I seldom peel my potatoes and haven't died yet either.

HybridHomesteader

Unread post by HybridHomesteader » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:56 am

No I think it’s because the potato skins can harbor bacteria. But I imagine like anything else when it’s pressure canned those bacteria spores are killed.

Like I said I canned diced with peels also. But that’s just what the canning police say.

G
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:25 am

Probably the same crazy people that tell us not to kiss chickens and that the dog should not be allowed to pre-wash the baking dish.

LOL.

HybridHomesteader

Unread post by HybridHomesteader » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:05 pm

|em26|

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:02 pm

No pre-washing? Phoey...its the way things get done 'round here.

Return to “Pressure Canning”