EGGS!!!

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
calendula

EGGS!!!

Unread post by calendula »

We got 19 eggs from our girls yesterday. They're shooting them out faster than I know what to do with them. Please, oh please, share with me your favorite uses for eggs, egg recipes, and any other egg related morsels of information.

Farmfresh

Re: EGGS!!!

Unread post by Farmfresh »

When all else fails preserve those eggs!

I prefer to scramble up my fresh eggs with a dash of salt and freeze them into an ice cube tray to pop out after frozen and stored. One large egg cube equals a large egg roughly and will save you life when baking the next time an egg famine occurs.

Eggs can also be preserved by coating with water glass, which is sodium silica (see below) and stored.

How to preserve eggs in waterglass. http://www.granny-miller.com/how-to-pre ... ter-glass/

How to manufacture your own waterglass.

Or they can be dehydrated. Mrs. Volfie is great!!

As for my favorite egg recipe ... I'll post Grandma Nettie's Homemade Custard recipe in the recipe section. DROOL!!
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy »

Can you sell them?

annaraven

Unread post by annaraven »

Make eggnog! Tis the season and all that.

Also - quiche can be made and frozen. Breakfast stratas use a lot of eggs. Scotch eggs are great. Yum. Now I'm hungry. ;-)

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

yummmmmmm scotch eggs.....
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

Farmfresh

Drool me in too!
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Farmfresh

How about oiling your eggs?

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

I was thinking about this subject. Calif passed a law a few years ago for expanding the cages for chickens. They need to be able to stand up, turn around and stretch their wings (dimensions of the cages). So CA producers started makeing that investment. Then last year, the legislature made another law saying that all eggs coming into CA would have the same parameters. Our eggs are already expensive so come Jan 1st they expect them to be up about 20 cents due to the rules for outa state egg producers.
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

Farmfresh

They are even predicting an egg shortage due to the law change. Basically the new law forbids chickens to be raised in the currently legal and horrible conditions that most egg factories have them in. According to the stories I have read before this law went in to effect 8 out of 10 egg-laying hens in the U.S. were/are raised under guidelines from the United Egg Producers.

On The United Egg Producers website (which can be viewed at uepcertified.com/abouttheprogram.html) is the article entitled "United Egg Producers Certified Program - Egg Industry Establishes Welfare Guidelines". In this study animal welfare concerns for the factory laying hens are discussed including their space requirements. Part of the text reads as follows: "The Scientific Committee considered all types of egg production systems and concluded that all have their advantages and disadvantages and that both cage and non-cage production systems are humane and ethical. Because of the fact that approximately 98 percent of all layer flocks in the U.S. are housed indoors and in cages, the committee focused its recommendations on cage production. The committee concluded that depending on the size of the laying hen and the size and style of the cage, hens needed space of 67 to 86 inches per bird."

The California law requires at least 116 square inches of space per bird for enclosures housing nine or more chickens and and enough room for hens to stand "comfortably upright. Doesn't seem like too much to ask, but it has the whole industry up in arms.

Neko-Chan

Unread post by Neko-Chan »

I bought a dozen each of chicken, duck and guinea eggs from a friend. I am excited to use them. :D