Looking for recommendations for a tangy bbq sauce???

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Looking for recommendations for a tangy bbq sauce???

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I have store bought and have done homemade sweet bbq sauce that I prefer on pork & chicken.....beef, not so much. My high school bff used to do a cheap steak marinated in a tangy sauce of some sort that was delish, but she doesn't remember the recipe she used. I did find Heinz Vinegar Based Tangy Sauce that was just about right....but after snapping up the last few containers at the store a few years ago, I haven't been able to find it again.......anywhere, except maybe online. But I want to do a homemade version so I can can it. (my plan for today is canning). I did an online search for a recipe, but nearly all I can find call for alot of ACV. I do have some, but not enough for more than a few quarts of sauce. Well, I guess that would be ok to start with cause I can always make more ACV.....but does anyone here know of a good recipe that might include some acv with regular white distilled?

This is the store bought version......

$_57.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

patriceinil

Re: Looking for recommendations for a tangy bbq sauce???

Unread post by patriceinil »

Try this OF, it’s from the recipe he used when featured on the show.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/fnk/recipes ... ce-7175577

patriceinil

Old Fashioned

Thanks Patrice, but I was hoping to stay away from using very much sugar or any sweetness and both of those show alot of it. I do understand maybe adding a bit like a tablespoon or two to round out the rest of ingredients, but not enough to affect the taste. Also sounds like his is on the hot side, YIKES.

I'll figure out something and probably hold off on doing it today. I've got my hands full as it is with diced & sauce tomatoes.........those #10 cans I was supposed to can the other day. I didn't really want to can it but I don't want them in metal cans any longer than necessary.

patriceinil

When I was looking for the recipe I saw one that said you could make it sugar free by using no sugar added ketchup and sugar substitute.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I found a recipe for chili sauce and another for ketchup. I thought I used to have a BBQ sauce recipe, but so far can't lay my hands on it.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Thing is.....most BBQ sauces are sweet and I have made some of that to use for pork and even chicken. But I'm not fond of the sweet flavor on beef. Heinz Carolina sauce is a BBQ sauce with all the vinegary tang without the sweetness and is perfect for beef.

When I did a search for a similar homemade version, I did find a few that only used like a tablespoon of sugar and the rest is vinegar & spices with maybe a bit of ketchup. Maybe I'll try that, but not doing it today.

patriceinil

When I went looking at the Carolina sauces they had Northern style, Eastern style and Southern style. Many had yellow mustard as a base instead of ketchup or in addition to ketchup.

I remember watching an episode of Cook’s Country and they did some regional BBQ sauces for different types of meats & poultry.