Shepherds Pie AKA Tater Tot Casserole

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Shepherds Pie AKA Tater Tot Casserole

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

Shepherds Pie sounded good and seeing pics of it, looked good though I don't know that I've ever actually made it. Until I started looking at recipes for it and realized it's just about the same as a Tater Tot Casserole that I have made and about the only major difference was the potato topping........why didn't ya'll tell me????? |em15|

Anyway, when comparing several recipes and the minor differences.....some had veggies, some not, some with more italian seasonings, other more middle of the road.......I settled on this that is more of my own throw together. That being said, know that amounts are not exact and is open for your own add ins or take aways, depending on your own needs.......

Shepherds Pie

Burger, browned
chopped onion
minced garlic (fresh or powder)
chopped sweet red pepper (optional----can use green or not at all)
veggie(s) of choice, fresh, frozen, canned (optional---I went with a pint of home canned peas, carrots, corn mix)....if using fresh, cook with burger till tender first
1 10oz? can cream of mushroom soup
1 Tbls Worchestershire sauce
1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper (can use paprika instead or even with, I did not)
salt & pepper to taste

1-2 Tbls, flour-----mine was a little soupy from not having drained the little bit of liquid from the veggies, so I added a little flour to thicken, but not required.

Brown the burger, add in the onion & garlic till soft & smelly, then the pepper and veggies if you use them, heat thru (or cook till tender if fresh), Add the soup & seasonings & mix well. Add all to a baking dish.

Potato topping

boiled potatoes
butter
sour cream
1 egg
shredded cheese

Mash all, except cheese together till creamy and spread over the top of meat mixture. Then top with cheese and bake till heated thru and cheese is melted.

Can use Tater Tots instead of mashed and cheese is also optional. But this turned out really good and I loved the mashed taters with sour cream and kept wondering why I've never done that before. The cayenne pepper did add just enough kick to tickle the taste buds, but not really hot.

Overall rating??? It's a keeper. |em24|

patriceinil

Re: Shepherds Pie AKA Tater Tot Casserole

Unread post by patriceinil »

|em24| Yummy! I haven’t made shepherds pie in a long time. I usually use a beef broth that I thicken into a gravy instead of the cream of mushroom soup.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

I bought a ginormous bag of frozen tater tots two weeks ago for comfort food. We've had them twice and I don't care how many I scarf down.
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

HybridHomesteader

Unread post by HybridHomesteader »

Just did tots the other day. I buy ours at Aldi. G F. I’ve never made the casserole.
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

Old Fashioned

I love tots and usually have them as a side with burgers or sloppy joes or something, but make plenty extra for the next days snack.......topped with some taco sauce and cheese, maybe some onion. YUM |em24|

patriceinil

I smother my tots in shredded cheese with some chives and sour cream and bacon bits when I have them on hand.

Old Fashioned

Oh stop it....now I'm hungry......and that sounds wunnerfully delicious. |em24|

patriceinil

I know I’ve got to stop at Pete’s tomorrow and get more bags of the mini tater tots because I’m down to my last bag.