Lasagna Slop

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Lasagna Slop

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

This is more of a problem and question here than an actual recipe........

When I make lasagna and let it sit for awhile before cutting & dishing up.....it ends up slopped on the plate and spreads out, instead of being more firm with defined layers. It tastes great, but looks like a mess of cheesy tomato noodle soup

How in the heck do you get it to stay where you put it????? and where it holds together in the dish or pan once you've taken some out? That always runs together and you can't tell where you've taken from |em3|

PS.......I will say tonights lasagna had more layers & sauce and it was really swimming.......should I just use less sauce? Or maybe make it the day before, let it cool, stick it in the fridge overnight so everything holds together, then cut & heat in the microwave???? That just doesn't even sound right, but??

patriceinil

Re: Lasagna Slop

Unread post by patriceinil »

Try using raw pasta in your lasagna with everything the way you normally do. It sounds like your sauce is too thin and the cooked pasta can’t absorb the extra liquid.

I use the gluten free no cook lasagna sheets and add extra water to my sauce. You can use the regular lasagna noodles, you don’t need the no boil ones. The starch from the pasta will also help to bind it together.

The trick to using raw pasta is that you MUST cover the pan well to trap the moisture in and help cook the pasta. Otherwise you’ll get crunchy areas where the pasta hasn’t had enough moisture to absorb into it.

If you think you won’t have enough liquid in your sauce you can add a little bit but not too much or you’ll wind up with lasagna slop.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

Yeah, dat's what I got.......slop |em12|

And now that you mention it, you're right. I had learned that trick of using raw noodles, but have completely forgotten. Hopefully by the time I make it again (6 months to a year), I'll remember.....yeah, good luck with that |em14|

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

Hey mine turn out like that at times too! Who cares, it tastes great whether on a plate or in a bowl. |em24|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I use the gluten free rice noodles in mine. They are supposed to be used dry and it turns out the best lasagna I ever made. The rice noodles soften up quickly compared to the old wheat ones.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!