Crack or Pull Breads

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Crack or Pull Breads

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

These are soooo good and can be made for a simple snack at home or even a party...just be sure to have plenty to go round |em24| I have yet to try the Jalapeno Popper, but it's next on my list....

(I got the recipes from http://www.plainchicken.com/2011/07/che ... pulls.html This shows for the Cheddar Bacon Ranch Pulls and the rest are found at the bottom of the page. I've copied here the ones I've tried and thoroughly enjoyed)

I did make some slight adjustments from the original recipe such as using real bacon instead of 'bacon bits' and instead of melting the butter & pouring over the top, I used softened butter to mix with the ranch and smeared it in between the cuts before adding the cheese & bacon. (pouring the melted butter mix, it just soaked into the bottom crust & was too salty and never did get into the bread itself)

Cheddar Bacon Ranch Pulls

1 loaf Sourdough bread, unsliced

6-8 slices of bacon, cooked & crumbled
8-12 oz sliced or shredded cheddar cheese (you can also use other sliced cheeses too for different tastes)
1/2 C softened butter
1 Tbsp. dry Ranch dressing mix

Slice bread loaf down to within about a half inch from the bottom. Do not cut all the way thru bottom crust. Then slice on the diagonal. Mix the softened butter & dry Ranch and smear it in between the cuts in both directions (you may need to make more butter/ranch mix to get it all). Then stuff the cheese slices in the cuts, also use cheese pieces to fill cuts in other direction. Finally press in the crumbled bacon into the cuts. Wrap in foil and bake @ 350 for about 15 minutes, then pull back the foil to uncover and bake additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

It may sound strange to use sourdough bread for these dessert recipes, but really it's barely noticeable.

Cinnamon Roll Pulls

1 loaf unsliced sourdough, (again you slice it to within 1/2 inch or so of bottom in both directions, but not all the way thru bottom crust)

for the spread:
1/2 C softened butter
1/4 C powder sugar
1/4 C honey
1 tsp vanilla
mix until smooth and spread in between cuts.

sprinkle over the top...
1 C sugar mixed with 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon

Wrap prepared loaf in foil and bake in a 350 oven for 25-30 minutes.

for the icing....
1 C powder sugar
1-2 Tbsp milk
mix until creamy and drizzle over the top.

[/Nutella S'mores Pullsb]

1 loaf unsliced sourdough (you slice in 2 directions, but not all the way thru the bottom crust)

smear in between cuts...
1 C Nutella

poke in cuts...
1/2 C mini marshmallows or bits

and top with mixture...
2 Tbsp melted butter
1/4 C graham cracker crumbs
dash cinnamon

Wrap in foil and bake @ 350 for 20-25 minutes or until marshmallows start to melt.

|em24| |em24| |em24| |em24| |em24| |em24| |em24| |em24| |em24| |em24| |em24| |em24|

calendula

Re: Crack or Pull Breads

Unread post by calendula »

That sounds delicious!

Old Fashioned

Ooops, double post & I can't delete it |em3|
Last edited by Old Fashioned on Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Old Fashioned

These ARE so good and the only ones I've tried so far. I have a hard time finding an unsliced loaf of sourdough, so it takes me awhile to gather up the ingredients, but I've been drooling over the Jalapeno Popper one for a while now. If you check the website, it's chock full of lots of different types of recipes |em24|

Jalapeño Popper Pulls
(Printable Recipe)

1 16oz round sourdough loaf, unsliced

8 oz cream cheese softened
2 Tbsp pickled jalapeño pepper juice
1 tsp garlic powder

1/4 cup diced picked jalapeño peppers
3 Tbsp bacon bits
1 cup monterrey jack cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Using a sharp bread knife cut the bread going both directions. Do not cut through the bottom crust.

Mix together cream cheese, jalapeño pepper juice and garlic powder. Spread cream cheese mixture in between cuts. Sprinkle diced jalapeño peppers and bacon bits on bread, making sure to get in between cuts. Top bread with cheese, getting in between cuts.

Wrap in foil the entire loaf in foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Unwrap (I just open the foil packet to expose the bread). Bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.