Pasta

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Pasta

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

Thought I'd make this thread, just to throw out the info but that can be found anywhere.

Pasta is pretty simple with just flour, eggs and a pinch of salt. I tried to find recipes to share that included amounts of each, but couldn't so I'm just going to guess that for 2 cups flour, 1 or 2 eggs and a pinch of salt. Mix it all together to get a firm dough. Then roll it out and cut. There are rollers and cutters available to buy, and I do have a roller and I think there's a cutter around here somewhere but I haven't used it. I have made the pasta for homemade ravioli and it's good. I just haven't made it for other recipes.....YET.

I do remember when I was a kid, my foster Gma making pasta in thin strips....fettuccini style. Simple, make the dough, roll it out and cut in strips and let dry. There are pasta dryers on the market if you choose to buy one that is just a wooden dowel with branches to hang the pasta on. Or just lay it on dehydrator racks or whatever so it has air flow all around.

As for cutting shapes, that's pretty much up to you and your choices but if we're ever put in the position to have to do this, shape won't really matter much and the important part will be just having pasta as a menu option for carbs. I think the most difficult shapes would be shells and tubes, like macaroni or penne or rigatoni or manicotti. Not sure how to make the shells, but most of the other can be done. You just have to figure out how to keep it formed while it dries.

I did see a video where they rolled it out, cut in small squares, then rolled it over a wooden skewer for macaroni. So whatever rolled form you're looking for would depend on the size of the tool you use. Here's the video and it's around the 6:30 mark where they form the dough. And actually this whole video and recipe looks sooo good. YUM!!! |em24|

patriceinil

Re: Pasta

Unread post by patriceinil »

I saw a video a while back of someone using a clothes drying rack to dry pasta on. The dowel or rod style clothes drying racks, they hung the long lengths of pasta over the rods to dry.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

These might be helpful

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Just that PICTURE on the first video has me drooling! Oh my!
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Farmfresh

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

I always thought you must use semolina flour....(haven't watched vids).
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

Farmfresh

The Italian Grandma uses All Purpose flour, but she has a note under her pasta videos "***For a firmer pasta, substitute 1 cup of the APF with 1 cup Semolina Flour"

I get a kick out of watching her shape the various kinds of pasta. She has a daft hand.

Farmfresh

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I like her videos too. She's cute and I've tried several of her recipes and have only made a major change to her Chicken Parmesan. I had tried it just like she did it and it was delicious as is, but I was trying to cut back on carbs, so I stopped breading it. Now I just brown & cook the chicken pieces till nearly done, then add the sauce to simmer a bit and at the last minute add cheeses on top, put the lid on the pan and let the cheese melt. Plate it up over some pasta and spoon sauce over it all. |em24|

Farm......did you watch that video from Almazon kitchen???? There is crumbled bacon in there and several types of cheeses. It looks heavenly |em24|

Murph......store bought pasta is made from Semolina flour and I think it's because of less gluten maybe??? So it doesn't rise like AP. But AP works just fine.

And a big thanks to all the video contributions. |em1|

Farmfresh

Only watched part so far. I am finishing it tonight.