Recipes using canned meat

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
patriceinil

Recipes using canned meat

Unread post by patriceinil »

So what do you make out of the meats that you have canned? I’ll break it down by type of protein: Beef, Corned Beef, Chicken/Turkey, Pork, Lamb, Fish

BEEF:

I have done beef chunks in a brown gravy over noodles or served with mashed potatoes.

Quick beef stew or beef vegetable soup when combined with home canned mixed vegetables

Sliced canned beef for quick pepper steak in a brown or red gravy served over rice or noodles

Ground beef for quick tacos or nachos, spaghetti, lasagna soup, added it to Mac & Cheese for a cheeseburger macaroni casserole

I’ve added either ground or diced beef to Shepherds pie or other casseroles to cut the baking time down

I’ve used it with sautéed vegetables and filled pastry for hand pies

CORNED BEEF:
Rueben dip
Quick Corned beef hash
A quick corned beef and cabbage dinner with boiled cabbage, carrots and potatoes

CHICKEN:

Quick chicken alá king or chicken and dumplings. Added canned chicken to fried rice, added it into casseroles.

I’ve used canned chicken mixed with mayonnaise, Italian seasonings, Italian salad dressing and Parmesan cheese to make a chicken spread for crackers.

You can make a quick buffalo chicken dip with canned chicken.

Chicken salad for sandwiches or stuffing into tomatoes for lunch.

BBQ chicken pizza topping

Shredded chicken mixed with BBQ sauce for sandwiches

Added chicken to quiche or a tart

HybridHomesteader

Re: Recipes using canned meat

Unread post by HybridHomesteader »

Great ideas!

I have ground beef- tacos, chili mac, pasta sauce.
Cubed beef usually goes in chili. I have made beef pot pies. Could easily make a stew.
Turkey….Turkey pot pie, Turkey soup.
Chicken….chicken pot pies, chicken soups, chicken salads.
Cubed pork… chili

It seems I use the chicken and ground beef most.

I look forward to your ideas and suggestions.

G
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

Thank you Patrice for posting this thread. Time got away from me today and I wouldn't have been able to do it.

I do have a bunch of canned meat, but have rarely used any of it......just so it's there & I have it. But the plan is.......

BEEF:

I only have 2 pints of burger patties for either burgers or use for Salisbury steaks.....just add gravy
Only a few jars of sliced for fajitas, pepper steak, stroganoff
lots of chunks for soup, stew, 'beef tips' & gravy, pot pie, stir fry/chow mien, mongolian beef, beef & broccoli or pea pods, shred for enchiladas, or tacos, hot or cold sandwiches (philly cheesesteak or open faced) hash
lots of burger to add to chili, soup, stroganoff if no more sliced, SOS, tacos, enchiladas, goulash, with fried cabbage, onions & taters, pasta sauce for spaghetti or lasagna,

PORK:

honestly I don't know yet but I will use it somehow :grin:

CHICKEN:

Soups, stews, pot pies, enchiladas, chow mien, glorified ramen (chicken or beef with veggies & ramen soup & boiled egg on top), alfredo, hot or cold sandwiches, fajitas,

CORNED BEEF:

with taters, carrots & cabbage, sandwiches, hash.

HAM:

Ham & bean soup (already canned together for a dump supper, just add cornbread)

BACON:

breakfast throw together (bacon or sausage with potatoes, eggs, cheese, onion & pepper), used to flavor other dishes or as an add in

PLAIN GROUND PORK:

used to make eggrolls, potstickers, won tons

ITALIAN SAUSAGE:

mainly used as pizza topping

BREAKFAST SAUSAGE:

loose or bulk---breakfast throw together, biscuits & gravy, breakfast burrito

maple links----pigs in blanket, breakfast throw togeter, as is on the side of any breakfast dish

TURKEY: (see chicken^^^^)

That's about all I can think of at the moment of what to use it all for. Much of it can be interchanged (use chicken instead of beef, beef instead of pork, etc) And there's always the 'what can I make with this, this, & this' for a surprise throw together of whatever you have on hand or can think up at the time and depends on available seasonings.

The main thing with canned meat, is you won't be able to have a medium rare broiled steak or fried or roasted chicken with identifiable parts or crispy bacon, or a meatloaf, but for the most part anything you make now, could be made with canned meat.

I have never yet canned fish or seafood, though I do have a couple of packages of shrimp in the freezer that I've thought about canning just to get it out of there and that would be used for the Del No Se (recipe posted), or a Scampi & sauce over pasta, or maybe even a chowder.

patriceinil

Those are lots of good recipe ideas gals! Keep adding to this thread when you think about it.

PORK:
Can boneless chops or loin chunks for eating with sauerkraut and boiled potatoes

Chunks for sweet and sour, teriyaki or Hawaiian style pork to serve with rice

Chunks in BBQ sauce for a bbq plate or shred for sandwiches

Brats and kraut canned together for sandwiches

Grill or sear Italian sausages links and can in tomato sauce for sausage sandwiches

Pork loin or shoulder with Mexican seasoning and tomato sauce for filling tamales, tacos, enchiladas etc.

BEEF

Make mini meatballs and can in broth for a sweet and sour supper or in a chili sauce for an appetizer or meal or Swedish meatballs

HybridHomesteader

Maybe I should list things I’ve canned and never used.

Whole bratwurst, sausage patties. There in there somewhere.

They were canned properly.

G
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

patriceinil

Use the brats for sandwiches with sauerkraut and onions!

What type are the sausage patties, breakfast or Italian? You can make breakfast muffin sandwiches for to-go breakfasts with the breakfast patties.

If they are Italian then make a layered casserole with them. Potatoes, onions, peppers and tomatoes slices shingled together in a greased casserole dish covered with bread crumbs and cheese. Bake until everything is warm and gooey.

HybridHomesteader

I’m sure I could use them for lots of things. Just not something I’ve used before so I was hesitant. Now their kinda old.

Not sure how old is too old.

G

patriceinil

Open one, heat it up and taste it. It just loses nutritional value as it ages, it should still be fine to eat. Just add extra fresh ingredients to whatever you are adding them to so you can boost the nutritional value overall of the meal.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

As long as they are sealed, they should be fine. If they are over 20 or 30 years old..... they may still be fine, but not so appetizing.

HybridHomesteader

Old Fashioned wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:41 am As long as they are sealed, they should be fine. If they are over 20 or 30 years old..... they may still be fine, but not so appetizing.
|em12| More like 4 or 5.

G