What to serve with squash??

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

What to serve with squash??

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I want to use one of my sweet dumpling squash (mini delicata) for supper tonight, but can't think of what else to make with it. I've tried gurgling menu ideas and only get squash recipe ideas. NO I just want to know what kind of meat or protein as the main course, with some plain baked squash on the side.

Any ideas?????

Preferrably with cut up chicken meat since that's what I have......but if you have a better idea with something else I'll just have to get it from the freezer

HybridHomesteader

Re: What to serve with squash??

Unread post by HybridHomesteader »

So you don’t want baked squash as a side dish?

Then maybe use it instead of a mashed potato in a recipe? Like a shepherd pie? Or how about like a stir fry cubed? Cubed and roasted? I’m actually not familiar with the squash so I’m kinda guessing.

G
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

Yes, side dish to anything. So put the chicken over some of the pasta with a sauce and the delicata on the side with butter, salt and pepper.

Yesterday I bought almost 20 lbs of various squash, cus they were 44 cents per lb. I'm goig to dehydrate the two largest butternut squashes. I also got delicata, acorn and two new ones.
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

Old Fashioned

Well actually I have been thinking of doing lemon pepper chicken, but baked squash on the side doesn't sound like a good pairing. Then I remembered I have some burger in the fridge, so I'll do a stuffed squash instead.......cause I've also been wanting to try that. Never had it before & sounds great.

Thank you ladies.

HybridHomesteader

Unread post by HybridHomesteader »

Let us know how it turns out!
Gina, Hybrid Homesteader, It'sMeG, TanksHill.... Mom, Wife, trouble maker extraordinaire.

Old Fashioned

Tried to google a good recipe for stuffed squash with what I had to work with and again couldn't find anything. Most call for italian sausage, but I made meatballs with all I had and are in the canner. But I do have about a cup of marinara sauce leftover......so a new recipe is forming. Maybe, if it works out right, we'll see.

Gonna try.......

burger
sliced mushrooms
cooked rice
some of the squash chopped into the mix....some left in the rind
some chopped onion & celery
a bit of marinara

Mix it all together (all precooked) and stuff back in the shells, bake 350 till heated thru and top with a layer of cheese and back in the oven to melt.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

That should work OF.

You could try the chicken cut into cubes then toss them into a box of stuffing mix and fill the squash. Use your poultry seasoning to flavor it and it should be delicious.

Old Fashioned

You're probably right Patrice and I should have done that instead. The squash was naturally sweet, more than I expected. So it made the Italian mix with rice taste weird. It wasn't bad really, just weird. Rice didn't really help either. There's a reason Italian pasta sauce is always served with pasta.....cause it works and is good. Rice, not so much and mixed with sweet squash is just weird. Lesson learned.

patriceinil

I’m sorry it didn’t work out too well. I think you’re better off serving squash with poultry or pork because they both go well with a slightly sweet item like the squash.

Ham or pork chops with baked squash as a side or like I suggested stuff the squash with a poultry and bread stuffing mix and bake them.

You could even bake, mash and whip them a bit to use instead of mashed potatoes. Or prepare them like sweet potatoes with a bit of brown sugar and spices.

Roasted chunks made with a citrus and ginger glaze served with turkey or chicken and green beans would be yummy.

You probably could combine the roasted squash cubes with some roasted onion and cooked rice, kind of like a risotto for a more savory flavor. You might be able to add a bit of Parmesan cheese to balance the sweetness of the squash.

patriceinil

Another idea would to make them as part of a curry. The rich spices would balance well with the sweetness.