The Family Orchard

dizzy

Re: The Family Orchard

Unread post by dizzy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:30 am

I can never remember and don't try. You also have it in the wilted leaves of wild black cherries which can be a real problem for horses if they eat them.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:38 am

dizzy wrote:I can never remember and don't try. You also have it in the wilted leaves of wild black cherries which can be a real problem for horses if they eat them.
I never knew that, thanks for the tip |em23|

bittersweetbranch

Unread post by bittersweetbranch » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:21 pm

Can you prune fruit trees at any time of the year. We have lost 5 major limbs off of our fruit trees this year and 2 whole peach trees. I am guessing because of the weight of the limbs. We moved here with these trees already established and have never trimmed them.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:14 pm

Peaches need to be pruned in the Fall most others need trimming in the late Winter or early Spring.

You need to either thin the fruit or make braces to support the limbs laden with fruit. It’s actually better to thin the fruit to get larger fruit from the trees.

bittersweetbranch

Unread post by bittersweetbranch » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:38 pm

2 of my fruit trees have sprouts growing up the side. 4 or 5 sprouts on each. Do they need to be removed, or can I transplant them, or just leave them and see what happens. One is an apple, one is a peach.

bittersweetbranch

Unread post by bittersweetbranch » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:39 pm

Also, my next fruit endeavor is blueberries. I've tried twice with no luck. I have heard stay away from any kind of concrete or rock because the soil will be too alkaline. What about sun and time of year to plant?

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:13 pm

If the sprouts are coming from the base or lower trunk they should be removed. They are sucking nutrients from the main trunk.

Blueberries need acidic soil, I tried several times to grow them and they don’t do well in my soil even after I amended it.

You can plant them in the Spring or early Fall. IIRC blueberries need full sun.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:35 pm

Agree with Patrice. Most fruit trees are grafted onto different root stocks, usually to control the adult size of the tree. Any sprouts are from the rootstock plant and they will take nutrients away from the main tree and never produce much themselves.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:54 pm

Wish I had some peach trees. I could do a thread on how to prune them. I worked on a fruit farm for 2 1/2 years. I pruned a lot of peach trees.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:04 am

I have the trees and sort of know what to do, but I wish you could come and prune them. Then I would record you to know what to do.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Return to “Gardening”