Turnips

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Turnips

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

What do you do with them? How do you prepare them? Do you try to preserve them? If so, in what way???

I had planted just a few this spring to try it out and yesterday I harvested them, but not sure what to do with them now that I have them. Since this bunch is only a few, enough for about one meal I guess, I am thinking of boiling them till soft, then maybe do a cream sauce poured over, maybe include some bacon with it.....IDK, whadyall think? |em22|

Rhodie Ranch

Re: Turnips

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

I LOVE TURNIPS!!!!! I cannot get them to grow.

I peel then dice into 1" and then simmer until soft. Add butter and salt. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

About the only time I ever remember having turnips was when my Dad would make stew with turnips and rutabagas and I KNOW I don't like rutabagas, but turnips were good, but that was like 60 years ago too. This was my first time attempting to grow them and with our cool temps, they may now grow for you up here.

Butter, salt & pepper work for me. Keep it simple at first, then experiment later, thanks

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Keep it really simple. I prefer them pulled young and small and raw!
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!