Sweet (HOT) Chili Sauce

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Sweet (HOT) Chili Sauce

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I don't know about the rest of ya, but red peppers are hard to find. Green yes, red not so much. At the store I did find some red serranos mixed in with the green ones but if I ever make this again, I'll use the jalapenos, no matter what color they are cause those serranos were too hot for me. Even so, the sauce does taste good.

Sweet Chili Sauce

2 & 1/3 Cup water, divided
2 Cups rice wine vinegar
2 Cups sugar
4 teaspoons salt
4 fresh red jalapeno, fresno or serrano peppers, destemmed and minced....I even deseeded mine to cut the heat, but it was still a burner
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 Cup + 2 teaspoons Clear Jel canning starch

1. In a medium-sized saucepan, stir together 2 cups of the water, the rice wine vinegar, sugar, salt, peppers, and garlic; bring mixture to a boil. Boil 5 minutes.

2. While the sauce is boiling, whisk together the remaining 1/3 cup of water with the canning starch.

3. While stirring the sauce mixture vigorously, pour the canning starch mixture into the pan; keep stirring and bring the mixture back to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 1 minute.

4. Use a ladle to scoop the sauce into 8 ounce glass jars, leaving a 1/4-inch clearance from the top. Use a chopstick to remove any air bubbles and then adjust the level with additional sauce if needed.

5. Moisten a paper towel with some vinegar and wipe the rims of the jars clean. Place lids on the jars and fasten appropriately.

6. Using nonslip tongs, transfer the jars to a canner full of boiling water that covers the jars by 2 inches. Put the lid of the canner in place, return water to a boil and process for 10 minutes.

7. Carefully transfer the jars to a wire cooling rack and allow them to cool completely, preferably overnight.

8. Wipe jars clean, label, and store in a dark place for up to 1 year. Once opened, the sauce will keep for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.

Use for dipping egg rolls or dumplings

patriceinil

Re: Sweet (HOT) Chili Sauce

Unread post by patriceinil »

Can you tame the heat of the sauce by adding something like ketchup and a bit of sugar to it when you are ready to use it?

You will probably need to have milk or some other dairy products on hand when you eat the sauce if it is too spicy for you.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Cut the hot peppers with some green peppers. That will bring it down a notch and probably even add to the flavor. When we had our indoor habanero pepper "Radiator Rita" we had an abundance of peppers too hot to eat. I started adding bell peppers with a touch of hot and it saved the day. Even dehydrated as pepper flakes and then mixed to make an edible product worked.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

No I wouldn't use ketchup IN the recipe, maybe on the side and dairy just don't seem to fit.

Jalapenos are not as hot as Serranos but cutting with sweet peppers might work, but hopefully won't change the flavor. Even as hot as it is, it does taste great, we had some with the stir fry & BBQ pork last night ( I didn't have any egg rolls)

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Dehydrate the sweet peppers and turn into a flake. Then you can doctor to be just the right amount of cool.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Good idea, and I have a bunch of dried sweet peppers. Thanks