Homemade Pet Foods

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Re: Homemade Pet Foods

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

Yes, I know they can eat alot of things we can't or won't and I have given some pretty rough stuff, but had never considered moldy foods. Sam had done something similar, by digging up the chicken feathers & carcasses I had buried out there |em3|

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

Just be careful feeding anything that hasn’t been cooked and started rotting. A guy on another site lost his LGD last year when it dug up and ate the leftover scraps from a deer that was processed. The camp next door dumped the scraps and the dog died after eating the rotting remains.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Most everything has been cooked unless it is a freezer burnt hunk of something.

I am of the opinion that animals will not eat poisonous food unless they are very hungry. Cattle, horses, sheep, dogs and other animals WILL eat bad stuff if they have little else to eat. The cow that ran out of grass will eat the hemlock. The LGD that is underfed or lacking protein in his diet WILL eat a too rotten deer. Baby animals are the ones that you have to watch more because they haven't figured things out yet and tend to take a bite of this or that and sometimes that bite is enough to poison them.

Our dogs have free choice dry dog food in their dish at all times. So I know they are not hungry. If they choose to eat beef stew with a fuzz layer on top, then I trust their judgement.

A last thing I want to say about LGD is that too many people underfeed them. Sometimes they put out food and the sheep or goats that they are supposed to be guarding eat the food instead of the dog. Greg Judy has a lot to say about that subject and why he feeds his LGD the way he does. You also hear stories of the LGD that "turns on the sheep". Same deal there often. Hungry dog or dog defending his food bowl. LGD's are remarkable valuable animals and they are tough. They lead hard lives compared to most dogs. It takes a really hard working and aware dog owner to make that life as easy as possible for them. Without that those dogs often lead difficult and even lonely lives.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

Unfortunately his LGD was still a puppy and I think lacked adequate supervision when she wandered off and ate the deer guts that killed her.