Almond Chicken & gravy

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Almond Chicken & gravy

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I grew up on American Chinese food since Ma worked at a restaurant before and after I was born. The place she worked would make theirs with whole bone in chicken pieces dipped in a batter with whole almond pieces that were fried crispy.......no bed of lettuce, no gravy, no almond crumbles. So after they had sold & retired and we were forced to go elsewhere, I was really surprised to see the boneless breast, sliced on a bed of lettuce, topped with gravy and almond crumbs over the top. Talk about culture shock..

Anyway over the years I've gotten used to the 'new' recipe and since we don't go out very often anymore I've tried to recreate a satisfactory substitute at home. This may not be quite right, but we all really enjoyed it anyway.

Almond Chicken & Gravy

Chicken breast halves (1 per person), pounded flat
Chopped Almonds & sliced green onions for garnish
oil for frying

Batter:

3 T cornstarch
3 T flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 T water

Gravy:

4 T cornstarch
3 C chicken broth
3 T butter
2 tsp soy sauce
3 tsp chicken boullion

Dip breast pieces in batter and fry in oil till well browned & done. Drain. Make gravy and pour over the top, then garnish with chopped almonds & sliced green onions.

I would think it easy to make it GF by using another type of flour. Maybe some masa corn flour? Or even almond flour?? Anyway it's pretty good and even the boys raved about it and they are my biggest critics

Farmfresh

Re: Almond Chicken & gravy

Unread post by Farmfresh »

This sounds yummy. Thanks for posting it.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

I’ve never heard of Almond Chicken and gravy, it sounds interesting. Do you serve it over anything like mashed potatoes, rice or noodles?

I’m thinking that would be good over egg noodles or fresh gluten free wide cut pasta.

My mom used to coat chicken in seasoned flour then fry it in a shallow amount of oil until golden brown but not completely cooked. She’d boil a bag of egg noodles while the chicken was frying. After the noodles were cooked, she put the drained cooked noodles in a Dutch oven or large casserole. She added a can of finely diced mushrooms and their liquid to the noodles and the leftover oil and dripping from frying the chicken into the dutch oven or casserole dish. She would mix everything together to coat the noodles then she put the pieces of chicken on the top of the noodles. She would cover the Dutch oven or casserole and baked it to finish cooking the chicken.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

No noodles or potatoes. Almond Chicken is part of a Chinese meal where you get several different dishes and everyone share from it. The chicken is served on a dish over a bed of shredded lettuce, with the gravy poured over the top, then that is topped with chopped/crumbled almonds. We just always ate it as another side dish by itself.......right along with the sweet & sour pork, chow mein, fried rice, and whatever else was part of the meal. I suppose it could be served over rice,

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

Okay thanks