Crockpot Italian Beef

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
patriceinil

Re: Crockpot Italian Beef

Unread post by patriceinil »

I finally put the eye of round roast in the IP and made it into Italian beef this evening. I’m mad that I didn’t pay attention to the price when I bought it, it was supposed to be $1.99 lb but I was charged $3.99 lb.

I’ll see how I feel tomorrow, I might go back to get the $6 they over charged me back after my massage.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

Finally got this bad boy in the crockpot. Didn't have the Italian seasoning mix, so I used the online seasoning mix amounts and just that mix didn't taste right to me but I'm not going to waste it for sure. BUT after adding the extra onion & garlic powders with salt and pepper.......it brought it together enough to taste similar to an official Italian seasoning mix.

I used some banana pepper slices and a bit of the juice, cause that needed used up.......plus I had miscalculated the pinch of red pepper flakes, to a hefty pinch. Hopefully it'll be edible without burning a hole somewhere.

I was thinking the addition of the pepper juice, may be more to help tenderize the meat than adding much more flavor. Jarred peppers are usually pickled, which includes vinegar......but that's just my guess. |em22|

I have mental pictures of this flavorful, mildly spicy meat loaded onto toasty hoagie rolls, with slices of provolone all melted & gooey.........dang now I'm hungry and it just got started. |em24|

patriceinil

Sounds yummy OF! I hope it turns out as you are anticipating.

Old Fashioned

It is, and will now become part of the menu. Between this Italian beef sandwich and the MS pot roast, I may never have plain again. Oh and the smells of it cooking had me drooling all day

patriceinil

I’m glad you liked it OF, it sure beats a plain old beef roast hands down.

patriceinil

So all week I’ve been struggling to cut nice thin slices of the roast to no avail until today. I don’t have an electric meat slicer so getting those nice paper thin slices of meat with a knife is always a struggle.

Today I thought why not try cutting some on the Mandolin slicer? It worked beautifully! The eye of round roast was narrow enough to fit across the width of the slicer perfectly.

It was a bit tough getting it slicing at first but I got the hang of it. I’m not sure if it would have sliced better warm or not, I was doing it with the roast cold from the refrigerator.

Now I can enjoy my roast like a traditional Chicago style Italian beef sandwich minus the French bread because I didn’t have any on hand.

I toasted a couple of slices of gluten free bread and topped them with a slice of smoked provolone cheese then my beef and poured over a few ladles of that wonderful Au jus that the meat cooked in. Yummy!

Old Fashioned

It is good and we had leftovers from the first night, so that was my brunch for a couple of days.

I do much better slicing it when it's cold, but I can never get it paper thin....safely |em2|

patriceinil

That was my biggest complaint too OF but the mandolin slicer worked great to get the paper thin slices.