DIY homemade seasoning blends

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

DIY homemade seasoning blends

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

This has been circulating FB for quite some time..........
spices.jpg

***NOTE**** I guess the Cajun and Chili mix is the exact same, so I don't know how that would work for either one. |em22|
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Farmfresh

Re: DIY homemade seasoning blends

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I think true cajun contains FILE powder (an herbal powder from the dried and ground leaves of the sassafras tree)

The other missing flavors that make the difference are the seasoning veggies used. Green bell pepper, onion, and celery are called "the trinity" by Cajun chefs in Cajun and Louisiana Creole cuisines. While Mexican foods use onion and chili peppers as the base veggies.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Yes, probably file seasoning, though I will say Emeril LaGasse's Bayou Blast doesn't have it either. I don't remember what all goes in it at the moment, but I do have a bunch made up that I use for Jambalaya and Gumbo. I don't know how authentic my recipes are, but they work for me.

I did try the Italian today for the beef sandwich, and it did taste like a regular Italian mix seasoning. And IIRC, I may have tried the taco blend and it was good too.

Since it was from FB, you can never really trust it. |em2|

Seemed odd to me that a poultry mix wasn't included, but I think I have one for that anyway.

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

Thanks for posting the chart, I took a screenshot of it to print off.

Farmfresh

Typically I don't mix my blends. It is just more remembering what spices I need for what. I would rather maintain a well stocked spice rack and let my creativity flow from there.

So for something Italian I will start with onions and LOTS of garlic (we love garlic. I keep some fresh usually as well an fresh minced and dried). Then I will typically add oregano, basil, thyme. I skip the marjoram because it is basically a wild oregano and not that different if you ask me. Depending on what I am cooking I will also add celery, sage, rosemary and fennel seeds. Sometimes all. Sometimes one thing or another. Sometimes I pick a couple. I always do salt and lots of black pepper (me again... I LOVE pepper).

I almost never add sugar to anything... spice wise. I dislike cloves very much. Always go light on the nutmeg and heavy on the ginger. I keep both dehydrated shredded ginger as well as powdered. My spice rack also includes caraway seed, which I love in salad dressings and slaws and dried mint, cumin seed as well as ground, mustard seed and powder, peppercorn seeds (typically ... I am currently out), turmeric and lemon balm as well as a lemon thyme.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

patriceinil

Unread post by patriceinil »

I keep mainly individual herbs and spices to custom blend my own mixes but I do keep a few pre-blended mixes on hand for easier use daily.

Old Fashioned

I have and use alot of those too, but when I was going thru my spices and realized how many I don't use, or very rarely.......like marjoram and fennel. What do you even use it for??? It does smell familiar, but I can't place it. |em22|

Farmfresh

I use the fennel in spaghetti sauces and on pizzas. Kind of a licorice flavor ... but not. Really good in a tomato sauce.

Marjoram is basically oregano.

Old Fashioned

OK, I'll try it...just to use them up.