Filipino Recipes

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
HNA

Filipino Recipes

Unread post by HNA »

Does anyone on the forum cook Filipino? I have a few I do.....am making some for tomorrow supper.
Fried rice, stir fried cabbage and some BBQ pork on bamboo sticks. |em24|

I think I am going to have to order some of the ingredients from Amazon. SC has Indian groceries, but very few Asian food stores.

Rhodie Ranch

Re: Filipino Recipes

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

My baby bro is married to an American born Filipino. We LOVE going to their house in San Jose when her Mom is bringing pancit or lumpia or other items! Unfortunately, Fortunata, my bro's wife, does not cook......
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

HNA

Unread post by HNA »

I love the stuff. My filipina friend taught me to make pancit, when I stopped by to see her after I went to KC. I am just not finding much asian ingredients here though. Lumpia..I can make just fine. It takes 3 hours, from start to finish. Now, I can't find the lumpia wrappers here in SC.

StockdaleDave

Unread post by StockdaleDave »

We do lumpia, pancit bihon, sinigang, leche puto, siapao, fried rice, etc. I love most of the food but forbid any dinuguan, milk fish or balut near my house. We grow upo for stir fry and I have several calamansi trees growing. If you're near any military base there are always sari sari stores just out the front gate.

HNA

Unread post by HNA »

Hi Dave! That's where I learned to love the food and culture. I was a Navy wife for 15 years, and had many filipina friends.

Where do yo live that you can grow these things? I don't think SC even has any calamansi within its borders.

I am mid state SC, by Columbia. Closest we have is Fort Jackson-Army..about 65 miles away. I think.

HNA

Unread post by HNA »

I love siapao. I asked my friend if she could make some...she said she didn't even know how! She was born and raised in Philipines. I have a good idea how to make it. But it is the roast pork that I am not sure on.

StockdaleDave

Unread post by StockdaleDave »

I am in South Texas. The upo of course dies out in the freezes but the calamansi are fairly small trees. They do well in containers that can be moved under cover when freezing weather threatens. Squeezed calamansi juice over pancit noodles is awesome. Shaw AFB is in Sumter...maybe a little closer.

This recipe is closest to what we use for siapao. http://www.panlasangpinoymeatrecipes.co ... recipe.htm

This video does a good job showing the siapao preparation. I love her counting at the 13:30 mark.... nine, ten, eleben :)

Last edited by StockdaleDave on Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch »

OK. Now everyone will need to GIVE ME THE RECIPES!

Out here we have Ranch 99 (actually in the Bay Area where I go to visit Mother). I can get everything there. Let me know if there is something you need and I'll mail it to you.

Going there on Sat a.m., returning on Monday, due to Renters coming here. Really, let me know...
Found water and ------better weather, yeah, maybe not.....

HNA

Unread post by HNA »

Fort Jackson- 68 miles

Shaw AFB- 83 miles

Charleston Joint Base- 140 miles

We live out in the boonies. We are even 45 miles from Columbia. None of the smaller towns around us carry any asian foods.

Thanks murphy. All I need for the time being is the lumpia wrappers.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!