Mice, Rats and Vermin ... Oh My!

Vent away!
Farmfresh

Re: Mice, Rats and Vermin ... Oh My!

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:32 pm

I don't know about beautiful, but thanks for the compliment!

Actually, Kid is a dukes mixture of his mama (who does look a little like hubby) and his dad.

The Kid IS beautiful... then again I have sort of a grandma thing for our Kid. |em27| :grin:
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
"Stop Dreaming About the Good Life and Start Living IT !"
Every little bit ... is a little bit.

Rhodie Ranch

Unread post by Rhodie Ranch » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:48 pm

I'd never seen that photo! Only the one of you at a table in Ren Faire garb. You are beautiful! Super eyebrows too!

My chickens attacked mice and once when we turned over a water tub, there was a mama and pinkies. Whosh - all gone. I was a bit sad tho....

The worst offenders of eating my chicken food were birds - they would fly into the run and nibble away. They were welcome tho.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:36 pm

<blush> Thanks for the compliments. I just look like a fat old grandma when I see myself in the mirror.

Most of my chickens in the past would eat mice and especially the little baby ones. I remember one scene of murder back when I still had my bantams. I moved a trash can that we stored feed in and there was a mouse nest under it. It was instant mayhem! Chickens swarmed in grabbed a baby and ran, then chickens that weren't so lucky chased them.

A lot of chickens are better mousers that some cats.
Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:28 pm

Years ago, there was a fat rat at the farm. It could not waddle away very fast, so I killed it, then left it for the chickens. They wouldn't touch it.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:57 am

I don't blame them a bit.....I hate rats.

The other day we found a dead rat in the yard, but DS2 says it's bigger than the one he had seen from Sam. Then yesterday when I went out to get some feed for the chickens stored in the summer coop along with all my garden tools, I happen to look down & seen a butt end of a rat without a tummy & one leg. I looked again to see the head & upper body but it was inside the container of a 'miracle gro' sprayer thingy. It was as if the rat had gotten it's head stuck in the mouth of the container and something had tried to eat the exposed half. YUCK, I was not going to touch it to find out either. EEEEEEWWW

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:39 am

An even better mouse / rat trap? Maybe so! We are actually winning our rat battle, but I think I will still set one of these up in the barn for rats and mice.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:01 am

Ya know, we might be ahead of the game here as well. FINALLY!!! After so many years of fighting that war.

I did pick up 10 chicks last week and have them in the house. The adults have spent the winter in the small pre-fab coop and locked out of the big shed/coop.....I had stored extra firewood in there & wanted to work on the rat problem & thought it easier if the birds were in the small coop.

Anyway, now that I got the chicks I'm going to need the small pre-fab for their grow out pen before including them with the others. So I got the wood out of there and put down a bale of hay (alfalfa hay since the store didn't have straw) and put the adults back in there so I could clean out the pre-fab and let it sit until the chicks are old enough to go outside. I put shavings in the housing part, but hay in the open pen part on the ground. It will be about another month before they can move in.

So I've been keeping an eye on the coops, looking for the dreaded tunnels & other rat sign.....so far, so good. Except there was a huge pile of dirt in the inside corner of the shed coop and at first I was thinking rats. I used the shovel to fill in & push the dirt back down.....trying to block the tunnel. But the next day it was there again with obvious fresh dirt. Then it dawned on me that it was a mole, not a rat. Rats push any dirt behind them and leave a clean exit from a tunnel........Moles push the dirt forward & upward.

Another sign of being rat free (knock on wood)......the dogs haven't been barking & tearing things up going after the rats. When they go out, much of the time have been quiet. When they have barked at something, it's a different bark than the usual 'hey there's a rat & I'm not stopping till I get him' and they haven't chased after anything either.

I have to give some credit here to the dogs....they have finally learned to work together in their pursuit of rats They now each get on either side of the target. Scooby barks, growls & goes nuts after it, forcing it forward.....and Sam has finally learned to get on the opposite side to catch it. |em20|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:02 am

I too am finally starting to win the rat war. Watching the lamb cam all this season I never saw a single rat... until about two weeks ago. I saw one of the lovelys. I was able via the camera to watch which of the old rat tunnels (they go under the concrete barn floor and I have yet to fill them with concrete via dizzy's intelligence) he dived into. The next day I gave him about three of the lovely blue rat cakes straight down in to his little hole. About a week ago I came out in the morning to his dead carcass grinning up at me on the front stoop.

|em1| Winning.

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:07 pm

I haven't seen any evidence of rats lately. Mice, yes. So, maybe I'll make one of those quicksand mouse traps.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:05 pm

Homemade rat killer, anyone???? Come to find out, there are several different 'recipes' for a homemade rat killer that is fairly simple and cheap. And it's good to know, that rats only travel about 150' from their nest.

Anyhow, this site has several ideas, recipes and effectiveness ……

https://www.ratrelief.com/does-baking-soda-kill-rats/

Return to “Sometime I Just Want to Scream!”