Ginger Chili Chicken Soup

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Neko-Chan

Unread post by Neko-Chan »

Feeling a touch of a cold coming on? This soup is a lovely take on the traditional "Jewish medicine". Flavored with fresh ginger, red chilies, onions and garlic, it has a subtle heat and soothing nature, perfect for someone not feeling too well.

1 whole chicken
Large rhizome of ginger
2 onions
6 red chilies
1 head of garlic
1T peppercorns
1T turmeric
Salt to taste
Boiled water

Remove the chicken from the package, rinse it, and place in the bottom of your soup pot. Add 2 quartered yellow or brown onions (skin included), 6 red chilies coarsely shopped (with seeds but not stems), about a dozen 1/8inch slices of the fresh ginger root, and the garlic (cloves separated and crushed with the blade of a knife). Add the peppercorns and turmeric, and pour over the boiled water until the pot is topped off.

Cook until the chicken is so tender it's falling off the bones. Add water as needed.

To serve, ladle some broth into a bowl, then use a pair of tongs to retrieve some chicken. Just pull off as much as you desire and add to the bowl. Salt to taste, and enjoy.

Farmfresh

Re: Ginger Chili Chicken Soup

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Wow. That sounds delicious!!
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy »

What do you do w/the onion skins after you cook everything?

Neko-Chan

I just left them in, and picked the bits out; I was lazy. You can remove the meat, strain the broth, and serve the broth and meat together if you want, but it was too much work for a person suffering from a cold. :P

Neko-Chan

I'm making another pot of this for my husband this time, as he's come down with a cold. I think the fumes themselves are close to killing viruses!

House Sparrow

Unread post by House Sparrow »

The soup sounds good. I might have to cut back on the chili peppers though. I am a lightweight, when it comes to hot peppers.