Recipes according to 'Twentieth Century Cookbook and Practical Housekeeping'

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Recipes according to 'Twentieth Century Cookbook and Practical Housekeeping'

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

Publish date according to Amazon is 1900. this is the oldest cookbook I have and I was looking thru it today and found some really interesting information. Including canning & preserving foods that would even make my hair stand on end |em2| I started this thread to share some of the 'old-timey' ways, just in case any of you are interested. Recipes are quoted directly from the book, unless otherwise noted with *.*

Homemade Baking Powder

8 ounces cream of tartar
4 ounces baking soda
4 ounces cornstarch

Powder the ingredients and sift them together several times, as the chief danger of failure lies in not having them well mixed. This baking powder will do all that can be done by any baking powder on the market. The US Department of Agriculture has fully tested and recommends this powder, their chemist saying in his report: "The consumer can pay full retail price for the ingredients and still make it up for about 1/2 the price at which a good baking powder is sold, and if she makes sure of the quality of her cream of tartar, she will have an article of which the purity is assured....I can see no reason why all housekeepers should not make their own baking powder."
Baking powder should always be mixed with the flour before adding the other ingredients.

*in much smaller print*

The action of baking powder consists in the fact that when wet with water the alkali (soda) and the acid (cream of tartar) of which it is composed, will effervesce, and in so doing will give off carbonic acid gas; this operates in the same way as the gas generated by yeast-that is, it permeates the mass of dough and causes it to 'rise' or swell up. The action of the baking powder will soon be over, however, and if the bread or pastry is not baked at once, the gas which it generates will escape, the dough will settle down in a solid mass, and the whole value of the powder will be lost.
To succeed when using baking powder or soda 2 things are essential. (1) The baking powder (or soda and cream of tartar) must be thoroughly and perfectly mixed with the flour. (2) After the raising agencies have been wet so that they begin to work, push the operation rapidly to completion; and when all is ready bake without delay. After the soda and acid are mixed to form the baking powder they do not set on each other as long as they are kept dry; the only reason for adding starch or flour is to absorb moisture and keep them dry. As soon as they are wet the action begins.
Baking powder can be made by using only 1/2 as much starch as we give in the above formula, or with even less; the powder will then be a little stronger, but it will not keep as well, so that for ordinary use we prefer the proportions there given. if you cannot get pure cream of tartar use tartaric acid instead as that is less often adulterated. It answers the same purpose, but use only 1/2 as much.
People as a rule will not tire of yeast bread as quickly as they will of soda bread and inferior materials can be used with yeast better than with baking powder.

Farmfresh

Re: Recipes according to 'Twentieth Century Cookbook and Practical Housekeeping'

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Cool. What an interesting book! Please keep sharing.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Re: Recipes according to 'Twentieth Century Cookbook and Practical Housekeeping'

I found an interesting fact that I'm not sure is really well known, or atleast I didn't.....to this extent anyway.

The Action of Salt on Meat.--This should be understood. Salt causes the fibers of meat to contract, and the juice to flow out of its pores, often forcing out in this way as much as 1/3 of the juice of the meat, which is the reason of the fact, familiar to every housewife, that dry salt in contact with fresh meat gradually becomes fluid brine. Now as the juice thus extracted contains albumen, and other valuable principles, it will be seen that meat which has been preserved with salt can never have the nutritive value of fresh meat, because the juices when once drawn out can never be restored.
Do not put salt on meat that is being cooked until it is nearly done; if added earlier it toughens the fibre.

Another point....

Washing Meat.--Meat purchased from a good butcher should not need washing before being cooked; all that will be necessary will be to dampen a cloth with cold water and wipe it off; or scrape it with a dull knife to remove splinters of bone, sand, etc. Washing meat will dissolve out the surface albumen and juices, and detract just that much from its value. If necessary to wash it, do not let it stay in water, but use cold water, throw it on quickly, and then wipe the meat dry.

One more......

To Make Tough Meat Tender.--Soak it in vinegar and water; if the piece is very large, soak it about 12 hours; for 10 lbs of beef, use about 3 quarts of water and 3/4 pint of vinegar, and soak it for 6 or 7 hours. If the vinegar is not very strong, a very tough piece can be soaked for 3 or 4 days in summer, and twice as long in winter to advantage, and spices may be added if liked. Or the meat can be brushed over with vinegar and let stand with that on 1/2 to one day. The tough fibre is cut and softened by the acid. Sour milk is used for the same purpose, by foreign cooks, the lactic acid of the milk acting the same as the acetic acid of the vinegar. The meat should be immersed in the sour milk, which should be changed every day, and thoroughly washed off before cooking the meat. Meat is also 'hung' to make it tender. Stewing also makes many tough meats tender; see the preceeding article on 'Stewing'.

*I'm not so sure these methods and practices are needed, necessary or safe these days. I think for tough meat, I'll stick with marinades &/or slow cooking in liquid......but I am NOT going to soak meat for 3 to 8 days on the counter. Because in those days refrigeration just wasn't what it is today and most likely it wasn't referring to refrigeration or the time of year wouldn't matter. Back then, only a few city dwellers had an ice box that wasn't very large & had to use blocks of ice to keep anything in there cold...until the ice melted, a day or two at most? *

Farmfresh

Actually I knew and practice (to a degree) most of that stuff. Grandma Nettie was the source of my information.

For example I season my meat with herbs and spices when cooking, but I hold the salt shaker until the meat is at the resting stage. As it cools it actually pulls the salt on the surface into the meat tissue along with the juices. I DO salt my veggies at the point of first cooking for the same reason. The salt pulls out moisture and allows the veggies to soften and cook better and faster.

Grandma Nettie would wash.. ie rinse well and pat dry ... store bought chicken, but just wiped the store bought meat. Meat from the butcher shop or home raised never got washed. It actually makes sense to me to wash that store chicken since it has been floating in a vat of the blood of about 20,000 other birds before that water gets changed. Yuck. IF I ever cook store chicken I fill a bowl with cold water and salt it well then rinse the chicken off with that. Salt is an antiseptic after all.

A vinegar brine (with both salt and vinegar) but kept in the refrigerator will make a shoe tender. Back in the day cooks got a whole lot more old animals to cook. These days anything over two years old ends up as hamburger. When I am stewing meat I also toss in a tablespoon of vinegar in the pot. It makes meat much more tender.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Yes, I can understand most of that and yes to keeping it in the fridge for up to a week or so with the vinegar water....but in those days they didn't really have much refrigeration & would leave it out......that's where I draw the line, even with vinegar.

And speaking of vinegar........

Vinegar (from the French vin aigre meaning literally sour wine) is a form of acetic acid, and its flavor varies according to the source from which it is obtained. Vinegar of the best quality is obtained from the grape, white wine vinegar being usually considered the best. Cider vinegar is derived from cider, and in the United States most of the vinegar was formerly obtained from this source. Its flavor is peculiar, and many prefer it. Vinegar is also made from barley, sour ale or beer, glucose, etc. Vinegar containing 5% of the pure acetic acid is called proof vinegar and is the strongest that is used, but much of that sold in the market contains only 3% of the acid or even less. It is frequently adulterated with other acids like sulphuric, muriatic, etc. Many flavored vinegars used for culinary purposes are merely ordinary vinegar flavored with fruits, herbs or vegetables. We give elsewhere recipes for making a great variety of these.

All vegetable juices can go through the acetous fermentation and produce vinegar. The process can be hastened by introducing a little ferment, like yeast. The fermentation takes place most readily at 70-90 degrees F., but below 60 or above 90 the action begins to diminish; boiling and freezing both stop it altogether.

Vinegar can be made from any pure fruit jelly which has begun fermenting, or which will not 'set'. All that is needed is to add water and set it in a warm place, or exposed to the sun is best, covered with mosquito netting. Adding a little 'mother', or yeast, will hasten it. Vinegar can also be made from cider or any pure fruit wine in the same way, but add a little sugar.

Vinegar and yeast are best kept in glass vessels; glazed ware is not suitable, as their acids attack the glazing, extract its lead, and produce the poisonous acetate of lead. See what we say about 'The Utensils Used' in our preceding chapter on "Jams, Jellies, etc.' It will apply for vinegar, also.

*small print*

Mother of vinegar is a fungus, or low form of plant life (the Mycodermi aceti). A little of this put into a sweet or alcoholic solution will soon convert it into acetic acid or vinegar. The plant may be divided and propagated to any extent.
Vinegar can hardly be said to have any nutritive value, its office being to stimulate the nerves of taste, and to flavor various foods. It also has a powerful preservative action, preventing the decomposition of vegetable and animal substances.

*vinegar recipes to follow*....

Old Fashioned

OK so I've made 'Apple Scrap Vinegar' before, but only used the cores, peelings & water and did NOT add any sugar, honey or molasses. But here ya go.......

Apple Vinegar--When cooking apples, save the parings and cores (if sound); they can be thrown into a jar from time to time, as they accumulate; add enough soft water to cover, and 1 cup of sugar or molasses to each 7 or 8 quarts of water; keep out insects by covering with netting; keep it in a warm place and it will form good vinegar.

Beet Vinegar--A good vinegar can be made from beets by extracting the juice, and letting it stand in a warm place, or exposed to the sun, covered with netting; a little yeast will hasten the process.

Cherry Vinegar--Into 1 quart of good cider put 4 lbs cherries, mashed, and add their stones, also; let stand 24 hours and add 4 lbs more cherries without their stones; let stand 3 days and strain (but do not squeeze) through a thin bag; add 1 quart of sugar to each quart of juice, and boil gently 30 minutes; skim and bottle when cold.

Cider Vinegar--To each 2 quarts of cider add 1 cup molasses and 1/2 cup yeast; keep covered where the temperature is 70-90 degrees and it will soon make vinegar; then draw it off from the dregs, and keep in a jug or bottles, tightly corked. Cider for vinegar, should be made from good sound apples which are not wormy or decayed.

Clover Vinegar--Put into a jar 1 quart of molasses, and pour on 2 1/4 gallons of pure soft water, boiling hot; as soon as it is barely lukewarm, add 2 cups hop yeast and 5 pints clover blossoms; cover and let stand a fortnight; then strain through cloth.

Corn Vinegar--Put into a jar 2 cups of corn cut from the cob, add 2 cups of molasses or brown sugar, and 4 quarts of pur soft water; set it in the sun covered with netting to keep out the insects' in 3 weeks it will make good vinegar, which is preferred by many people to cider vinegar.

Currant Vinegar--To 1 gallon of pure soft water add 3 cups brown sugar and 5 cups strained currant juice; keep in a warm place (from 70-90 degrees) and it will form vinegar. Or, mash the currants, let stand over night, strain, and let the juice stand in a warm place until fermentation ceases. White currants will make a delicate, pale vinegar.

Gooseberry Vinegar--Take ripe gooseberries, mash them, and to each quart add 1 1/2 quarts soft water, mil warm; let it stand 24 hours, strain it, and add 1 lb coarse brown sugar to each quart; let it stand in a warm place in the kitchen, and in 2 or 3 months it will make fine vinegar. it will be superior to much that is sold as white wine vinegar.

Honey Vinegar--Mix thoroughly into 1 gallon of warm soft water, 2 cups of clear honey; cover and let it ferment, when it will make vinegar.

Potato Vinegar--Take the water in which potatoes have been boiled, and to a gallon add 1/2 cup hop yeast and 2 cups sugar; cover with netting, let stand exposed to the sun or in a warm place and in about a month it will make good vinegar.

Raspberry Vinegar--Put raspberries in a stone jar and add enough vinegar to cover them; let stand 6 days covered over, but stirring occasionally; then strain through flannel; add sugar pint for pint, boil 1/4 hour, skim, and bottle when cold.

*small print* The raspberry belongs to the same species as the blackberry. There are 2 kinds--the red and the white. The white is the rarer of the two. The juice is rich and abundant, and the fruit is wholesome and valuable to people of a nervous or bilious temperament.
*I don't know about you guys, but I've never seen a white raspberry |em22| *

Rhubarb Vinegar--Crush the rhubarb, cover with lukewarm water, and let stand 36 hours; then strain, add 1 1/4 lbs raw sugar or molasses to the gallon of juice, and also add a little yeast; keep it covered and in a warm place for 4 weeks; then strain, put in a keg and leave it to ripen.

Sorghum Vinegar--Use about 4 gallons of water to 1 gallon of sorghum; keep it in a warm place, or in the sun covered with netting, and it will turn to vinegar. Adding a little yeast will hasten the process.
Tomato Vinegar--can be made of it by adding 1 gallon of ripe tomatoes at the same time that the sorghum is added.

Sugar Vinegar--To 1 gallon of water add 1 1/4 lbs raw sugar, and 1/4 pint yeast; keep it at about 80; in 4 days it can be drawn off, when add 1 oz each of cream of tartar and chopped raisins; in a few weeks it will be ready to bottle.

Yeast Vinegar--Put into an open keg or jar 2 quarts of hop yeast sponge (set and allowed to get light as for bread); add 5 lbs sugar or molasses, 5 gallons of soft water, and 2 quarts of corn which has been boiled until tender (adding it when cold); keep it covered and in 3 weeks it will make fine vinegar.

Aromatic Vinegar--Take 15 grains of oil of cloves, 10 grains oil of cinnamon, 5 grains of oil of lavender, 1 oz of camphor, 1/2 pint glacial acetic acid; mix and bottle. Aromatic vinegar is a nasal stimulant useful for reviving and refreshing those who suffer from faintness and nervous headaches.

Spiced Vinegar--Mix and tie in small muslin bags, 1 oz each of allspice, celery seed, cloves, turmeric, mace, pepper, ground mustard and white ginger cut small; add 3 cups sugar and 1 1/2 gallons vinegar; keep closely covered and use as needed.

***up next...yeast recipes*** :grin:

calendula

Unread post by calendula »

Super cool! I recently made grape vinegar. Maybe it is technically wine vinegar?

Farmfresh

I have made both apple and pear vinegar before, but like you OF I never added any sugar.

You found a gem of a book there. I am loving this!

I have never seen a white raspberry either. I have seen the yellow ones I wonder if that is the same?

Old Fashioned

Cal......I would think that you would have wine.....just before it turned to vinegar but |em22|

FF......there has been so much crossing/hybridizing since this book came out, that it would be hard to tell. It didn't mention anything about black raspberries that I think is a new invention :grin:
I've had this book for a few years now but have only glanced thru it. I knew it had some good info in there, but never really had the time to delve into it much, until now.

BTW....I never did make hubby a cake from scratch, instead I made brownies from a box :lol: and he was happy.

I don't think I'm going to be relaying the whole book here since it's 778 pages...atleast that's what I have, not counting Glossary & Index. Unfortunately my copy is missing several pages....but I will try to share as much as seems relevant to us DIY'ers. It does include several blank pages, that have handwritten recipes in it. Most of the ink or lead has faded, but the dates written are from 1905 to 1925. Except one that is dated 'Jan. 1862' and yes I'm sure of that date, but it doesn't line up with the published year of 1900. So I don't know for sure what to think of that |em22|
It also has small sections for cleaning, entertaining, proper table settings and even medical/first aid tips. What I want to know.....is what the heck is the measurement of 'drachms'????????

YEAST

Three Hour Yeast--Take 1 cup of flour, 2/3 cup of sugar, 3 tablespoons of salt; pour over this 1 pint of boiling water; let it cool, then add 1 cup of hop yeast. After this gets light, take 3 qts. of mashed boiled potatoes, and 3 qts. of warm water and add to the other. It will be ready for use the next day. Then 1 qt of this yeast and 1 qt of warm water will make 6 loaves of bread. With this yeast, bread will rise in 3 hours and the bread can be baked the same day, which is quite an advantage.

Hop Yeast--Take 1 qt of water, steep a small handful of hops in it, and when it has boiled for a few minutes strain this water on 6 grated potatoes; then boil them until clear, say 20 minutes, stirring all the time; if the potatoes are large, and the paste becomes too thick, add a little more water; while it is boiling, stir in 1/2 cup of sugar and a tablespoon of salt; when it has cooled so that it is lukewarm, add a teacup of yeast; let it rise over night, then stir it down, and put in the yeast jar; cover tightly and set it in the cellar. This yeast usually keeps 2 weeks in hot weather, and longer in cold. A coffee-cup of this yeast, and 2 qts of warm water or milk, with a little salt, and lard or butter, will make 6 or 8 loaves of bread, according to the size of the pans.

Potato Ball Yeast--Take a pint of finely mashed boiled potatoes and have it as dry as possible; add 2 tablespoons of sugar, and 1 tablespoon of salt. Soak 1 fresh yeast cake in as little water as possible, and when the potato is cool add the yeast; mix thoroughly, and set it in a cool place for 2 or 3 days. When you wish to set bread to rise, have about as much fresh mashed potato, with sugar and salt added, as you took at first; mix this thoroughly with the first, then divide it in half; roll up one half in a ball for the next baking; add the other half to water sufficient for sponge for the bread.

Milk Yeast or Rising--Take 1 pint of new milk; in the morning add 1/2 teaspoon of salt; stir in, and beat for 1/2 minute, 2 tablespoons of flour; then place the pitcher in a kettle of warm water, and where it will keep warm, but not hot (about 110 degrees). It takes about 5 hours for it to rise. Instead of milk, water is sometimes used, and then it is called salt-rising. Mix the rising with a quart of warm water and a little salt; make a stiff sponge, and let it rise again; then mold and put in the pans to bake.

Yeast Cakes--Take common home-made yeast, and when the fermentation ceases stir in enough cornmeal to make a dough. Roll out, cut in squares, and dry thoroughly. Do not dry in the oven as the heat will kill the yeast germs; choose a dry day to make them, and dry in the shade rather than in the sun. Keep them where it is shady, but where the air circulates freely; they will keep indefinitely.

Farmfresh

"What I want to know.....is what the heck is the measurement of 'drachms'????????"

It sounded like something that D1 should know. I looked it up ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apothecaries'_system