The "What's For Supper?" Thread

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
dizzy

Re: The "What's For Supper?" Thread

Unread post by dizzy »

HNA, that sounds yummy-except for the carrots. I don't like cooked carrots-unless they're in soup or similar.

calendula

Unread post by calendula »

Tonight is appetizer night, a New Year's Eve tradition for us. Five years ago or so, DH and I decided that we didn't want to go out to the bars for New Year's. Instead, we stayed home with the kids, played board games, drank wine (root beer for the kids), ate appetizers, and watched the ball drop on TV. The kids rarely make it till midnight; I think last year was the first time the older two sons got to see the ball drop.

I'll be cutting up corn tortillas and frying them in lard, and I bought 2 avacados to make guacamole. Luckily, everyone else thinks guacamole is gross, so more for me. :grin:

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

Sounds like a fun time. We used to make those little smokie sausages and have squeeze cheeze and crackers on New Years when the kids were little. Often it was puzzle night.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

HNA

Unread post by HNA »

I think we'll be having some soft tacos. I have all of the ingredients for it, and when I do fresh stuff, the chickens get extra goodies for their treats |em1|

We don't do anything for NYE anyway. DH gets the day off tomorrow is all.

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

I can't remember the last time we as a family did anything for New Years Eve. Hubby & I usually have to work. So he is usually asleep by 9, maybe 10 at the latest. The kids on the other hand have their clocks turned upside down since it's school break. I think the last few years it's just been the kids & I banging on pots & pans in the yard to ring in the New Year. Although if the kids managed to save any firecrackers from 4th of July, they set them off too. Yeah, we are pretty boring around here.

oooohhh smokies.....I found a really gooooooood recipe everyone loves....

BACON WRAPPED SMOKIES WITH BROWN SUGAR AND BUTTER

Ingredients
1 pound Bacon, Cut Into Thirds
1 pound Lil’ Smokies (small sausages)
1 stick Butter
2 cups Brown Sugar

Preheat oven to 375F.
Cut the bacon into thirds and wrap each smokie.(small sausage)
Place all the wrapped smokies in a single layer in a baking dish.
Then melt the stick of butter and then 1 cup of brown sugar and stir until mixed well.
Pour the butter and brown sugar mixture on the smokies and bacon.
Then take the other cup of brown sugar and sprinkle evenly over the smokies.
Bake them for about 15-20 minutes and then turn the heat up to 400F for about 5 minutes or longer until the bacon becomes crispy.

Farmfresh

Yum. That sounds divine!
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

Oh they are and so easy too. Trust me, they'll be gone as soon as you pull them out of the oven!

Since Thanksgiving is always turkey, and for several meals after.....at Christmas we usually have ham (or anything BUT turkey) so that by New Years, we're ready for turkey again......I just don't include as many 'trimmings' especially since it's usually just the 4 of us so I try to keep it simple. I have to work tonight so I'm just doing the turkey, dressing, taters & gravy, corn and Hawaiian rolls and cranberry sauce, of course.

dizzy

Unread post by dizzy »

We had scalloped potatoes w/ham and green beans. It was good.

calendula

Unread post by calendula »

Yum. I love ham and potatoes.

Tonight, we had bacon wrapped venison with dilly potatoes.

Farmfresh

Hubby, D2, the Kid and the Geek went to my sister's tonight. I didn't really feel much like it so I stayed home, so that they could all take one car. They had corned beef and cabbage as well as a yummy black eye pea dip that my sis makes. (oddly enough she will eat that since she likes beans) They brought me home some dip. Yum.