The "What's For Supper?" Thread

Family favorites and special dishes. Share your best recipes here.
Old Fashioned

Re: The "What's For Supper?" Thread

Unread post by Old Fashioned »

ok you can NOT post about it and not SHARE the recipe!!! |em29|

I did a quick search for it and came up with dozens of recipes that were all just a little bit different from each other......I get the gist of burger, noodles, tomato sauce &/or diced and cheese.....but some had vegetables like onion, garlic, peppers, celery...others had oragano or other spices....one even had italian sausage with the burger.

So????? |em29| cough it up!

HNA

Unread post by HNA »

Johnny Marzetti-my version

1 lb ground meat-beef was the original
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 can water-abt 14 oz
1 onion-diced
1 TB chili powder
1 Tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 C. elbow macs

Fry up ground meat, saute onion, drain excess oil from pan. I use bacon grease to fry the meat and onions.
Add tomatoes, seasonings to meat and onions. Bring to boil, lower to simmer, add a lid and cook for 20 minutes.

Enjoy......yummmm |em24| |em24|

I put cheese in it the first time, but it didn't get all melty. So I don't add cheese anymore.

calendula

Unread post by calendula »

Farmfresh wrote:That is because you didn't go to school in Kansas City, Calendula. :lol:

I remember it. Just good and goey and fills you up.
:grin: It looks good from the pictures I saw. At my school, our favorite was Stromboli.

Old Fashioned

Marzetti?? Stromboli?? Geez, we never had anything like that at our school, just standard stuff |em3| I'm going to try that Marzetti...it does sound & look delish |em24|

HNA

Unread post by HNA »

Yummmm....it is |em24|

We didn't have stromboli at our school.

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

At the alternative school, where I worked, the lunches were beyond horrible. The entire district (Raytown) was ultra cheapo and gross when it came to feeding it's children. How do you KNOW when it is really bad? When the kids get excited because the government commodity fruit has arrived. The "best" meal day and one that all the kids looked forward to was Turkey Gravy day. Nasty cubes of processed turkey loaf boiled in canned gravy and poured on instant mashed potatoes. Usually served with boiled to death broccoli. |em2|

I used to feel horrible watching our kids eat. Many of them came from such bad homes that breakfast and lunch at school WAS their food and "Super donut" with toast does not a breakfast make either.

Our home district and the last one I worked at had great food. Fresh fruit at every meal. Tons of really well prepared veggies and the main course was usually edible, even if it is not what we would choose to eat. They served lots of homemade pasta dishes, wraps and other yummy stuff.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

Old Fashioned

Well I started with good intentions |em28| for the Marzetti and ended up with Mazarati |em12|
I didn't have any burger thawed & did have some leftover turkey needing to be eaten. I figured the original recipe would be better with burger, so I made a few other changes as well. I'll wait a few days and try your recipe with burger, but here's what I came up with.......

Old Fashioned Mazarati

About 2 C leftover cooked turkey cut in bite sized pieces
1/4 C chopped onion
1/4 C chopped celery
2 cloves garlic minced
2 C. sliced mushrooms
1 can 15 oz can Tomato Sauce
1/2 can water
1 C Salsa
1 C shredded Jack cheese
2 Tbsp butter
salt & pepper to taste
2 C elbow macaroni

In a large pot, cook macaroni until done. Drain in colander. Using the same pot, melt butter and add onion, garlic and celery. Cook to soften, add mushrooms & stir (you may need a bit more butter). When mushrooms have softened, add tomato sauce, water, salsa, turkey and macaroni. Stir until well mixed and heat until hot. Top with cheese. Set pot off burner & cover until cheese melts.

It's a bit 'tomatoey', but good

Old Fashioned

Got home from work last night & asked hubby if he ate any supper & how he liked it...his and the boys answer was......shrugging their shoulders & saying 'eh'....apparently they weren't impressed. Oh well, I figure if you don't try, you'll never know. I didn't think it was really bad not great, but not bad. Though next time I will try this, but keep to the recipe without variations :lol: Now I just need to figure out what to fix for tonight........any ideas anyone??? |em22|

Farmfresh

Unread post by Farmfresh »

I am making GF Hamburger Helper knockoff, so don't ask me. |em28|
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit. -The Tick ~~ Bible verse Revelation 6:15-17 - look it up!

calendula

Unread post by calendula »

We are having meatballs w/ gravy over mashed potatoes.